J+K1016

J+K1016
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Anyone know what this is? It looks like a green sponge. Is it good or bad? Thxs, Jim

Attachments

• 04-06-10 006.jpg
    04-06-10 006.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 337
  • 04-06-10 005.jpg
    04-06-10 005.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 325

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
No, it does not look like a sponge..of any color :)
If it were a sponge - there should be no black(?) on it. Did you get this with the zoa frag? If a sponge is exposed to air they usually die, do you know if this piece was exposed to air at all?

Generally sponges grow on the underside of rocks, away from the light.

Have you touched it - is it hard or soft?
Is that algae growing all over it - might want to remove a small section of it to see what is underneath and post another pic or give us further descriptive info.

cowfish

Psycho-ologist
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
There are photosynthetic sponges and black sponges (I've got both growing on my rock). However, that does not look like a "black sponge". IMO it looks like a cyano covered something. Try wiping it off. It may be a dying sponge. Is it hard or squishy?

daisy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
+1 on the cyano-covered something. Perhaps a sponge under the algae.

But I disagree on another point - I have pretty old rock (11+years) covered with sponge, and there are varieties that grow in the dark places, as well as varieties that grown in better-lit areas. It could be sponge covered with algae.

If you have a turkey baster, go ahead and gently "blow" water on it to get rid of the algae and see what is underneath.

J+K1016

J+K1016
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
sponge

I'll try touching it and see if it's hard or soft? It's actually dark green, not black like in pics. If it's algae, I don't have it growing anywhere other then on it? I will see if it comes off easy? Thxs for help, Jim

daisy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Is it a sphere in shape? I still think it's a sponge that has some algae growing on it - it looks like a sponge I have quite a few of in my system, and these things (I call them ball sponges since they are spherical) are one of the sponges that grow in the light in my tank. Most likely it's not a bad thing - most of the things that "magically appear" in my tank are not bad things.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: