dizzy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must have a different definition of naferous intent than what I found in my dictionaries and on the internet. Do you understand the term "ends justify the means" John? It means that you can have great intentions but you soil the process by cheating to accomplish them. I actually think much of what the MAC might do would be good. I have always said that. I just don't understand how it would be good for an independent retailer. Don't be publishing any more dealer cost/benefit studies. :roll: Dealers have to have fish to make profit. For the MAC/MAMTI plan to accomplish its goals of creating a sustainable industry it has to get the industry to accept it. It could have been so much easier if you guys had just listened to some of the dealers when they tried to explain this to you.
Mitch

naesco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mary you need to recognize that industry is facing BILL 4928 which will change forever the MO industry and our hobby.

Stop criticizing an industry organization. Work with MAC to ensure that both the intent of BILL 4928 and industry interests are protected.

There is no other organization.
I agree with you that MAC has been very weak on the implementation of its own agenda like CDT and the USL but hopefuly that will change.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
naesco":13wrm2mf said:
Mary you need to recognize that industry is facing BILL 4928 which will change forever the MO industry and our hobby.

Stop criticizing an industry organization. Work with MAC to ensure that both the intent of BILL 4928 and industry interests are protected.

I agree with you that MAC has been very weak on the implementation of its own agenda like CDT and the USL but hopefuly that will change.

no other organization for what ?

no other industry org?

no other conservation org?

no other reform based org ?

MaryHM

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bill is recognized. Outcome is yet to be determined.

I have no intentions of working with MAC now or in the future, so you can cease telling me to do so.

Psuedo-reform just to "save the industry" is not an interest of mine. As you stated, MAC has been very weak on the implementation of its own agenda. They have not proven that their actions in the future will change. Sorry, but I don't sign on with someone just to proverbially "save my butt".

John_Brandt

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MaryHM":mg54ygqq said:
So what do you want us to do, John?

Discuss and question the issues and concerns objectively and without venom.

Even when we see inconsistencies and misrepresentations, we're supposed to be quiet because heaven forbid poor little MAC gets their feelings hurt?

Try to find out if the inconsistencies and misrepresentations are innocent or nefarious.

And when they actually do give a straight out answer on a topic (which is exceedingly rare) they never follow through (ie cyanide test).

When you hate something, almost any answer it gives you is regarded as non-straightforward.

MAC has, and still does, intend to have BFAR utilize a CDT. But as you know, Merck recently ran controlled scientific experiments on three different CDT methodologies and found that it could not corellate controlled exposure to cyanide to the subsequent levels of cyanide in the fish's tissue. There were other corellational problems as well, and I presume that you read about all of those because you recently agreed with me (to Peter) that if the test cannot show that a fish was caught with cyanide it would be a problem as a law enforcement tool.

MAC also found that it appears as if the historical CDT methodology had not been properly peer reviewed (ring a bell?), and that now may suggest that the corellational problems that Merck discovered may have been occuring all along. A thinking person has to scratch their head and wonder why clowns, mandarins and seahorses had been showing up positive on CDTs. That could occur from a variety of reasons (including that they were collected with cyanide), but it is critical to draw a scientific and legally-defensible corellation between capture with cyanide and presence/level of cyanide in the tissues.

With regards to the CDT, MAC is not skirting its stated mission or actions as a sustainability program with scientific foundations. It's doing the opposite, by promoting the scientific evaluation of the CDT to determine capture by cyanide and proceeding according to the findings of that science.

MaryHM

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Discuss and question the issues and concerns objectively and without venom.

If you promise to practice what you preach, we just may get somewhere with that one. You have to admit, John. You don't exactly come off in your postings to individuals here as "objective and without venom". I can dig up several examples if you'd like. Recent ones too. I get a little amused when someone tries to act all high and mighty when they themselves are guilty.

Try to find out if the inconsistencies and misrepresentations are innocent or nefarious.

Most of what we discuss is unable to be immediately ferreted out via some big fact finding mission. It's one side against the other. One organization/person has views on a topic and another has the opposite. Much of it can't be verified on either side except through the passage of time. And what's the point of even having a forum if we can't discuss cause/possible effect until AFTER the fact? Also, there have been many times when very straightforward questions have been asked by people here directly to MAC to try to "find out if the inconsistencies and misrepresenations are innocent or nefarious". And MAC chooses to ignore it. If you can't get an answer from the horse's mouth, then you're left to your own supposition.

MAC has created timelines about other issues as well and hasn't followed through. Not just the CDT. Kudos to them if they're really trying to do that right. Shame on them if they're just running some slick PR. I guess time will tell. And in the meantime, there's no reason why we can't discuss our individual opinions on it instead of waiting for the end result. Hindsight is 20/20. Foresight is not. So until each and every issue finally culminates into its final form, our discussions will not be 100% accurate. On either side.

John_Brandt

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MaryHM":q3jnso5d said:
You don't exactly come off in your postings to individuals here as "objective and without venom". I can dig up several examples if you'd like. Recent ones too. I get a little amused when someone tries to act all high and mighty when they themselves are guilty.

Last year I called you tyrannical. Recently I think I lumped you into the conspiracy-spinning loon category. I'm sorry for all desparagements that I may have cast upon anyone here, if for no other reason that it isn't supposed to show up in this forum. Nobody judges themselves the way they judge others. I don't know how this forum is going to reform itself in that respect. It seems hellbent on whacking each other and eating its own babies. Some of us are now acting like Dennis Rodmans and flopping under the hoop to draw the foul. I don't know what to do about it, but it may require very aggressive moderatorship. It may be as Lincoln said about this country at the brink of the Civil War, to become "either all one thing or all the other".

MAC has created timelines about other issues as well and hasn't followed through. Not just the CDT. Kudos to them if they're really trying to do that right.

It often seems that projected timelines cause delays and problems to come out of the woodwork that you never anticipated. The CDT evaluation timeline was stalled by delays with Merck and BFAR. Even still, it was accomplished reasonable close to prediction. It is ongoing.

So until each and every issue finally culminates into its final form, our discussions will not be 100% accurate. On either side.

But in spite of this reality we always seem to act like our predictions are accurate before they are played out. And the earth rotates one more time...

naesco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mary posted
Sorry, but I don't sign on with someone just to proverbially "save my butt".

What is your exit strategy?
You cannot sell your business without disclosing to the proposed buyer that BILL 4928 will have an effect on your MO business.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, i'll bite...

i tried contacting some of the independent certifying agencies that were/are listed on mac's website, in an effort to find out which of them certified the various importers/exporters that have recieved mac certification

remember-mac says that they themselves cannot/won't do the actual certifying, in order to rule out 'conflict of interest' possibilities, etc. ( or such is my impression)

i'm still waiting for replies since feb/march. the inquiries were by phone, and i left all of my contact info w/the aforementioned parties, which org i represent, email addys,and phone

any chance you, john, or anyone from mac would care to provide the info?

directly here on the bb, or to [email protected] would be fine

my biggest concern is why no one replied to begin with

it seems as if the only way to get info about the details of mac's actual certification activities will be to file freedom of information requests

the silence and lack of replies is not only snobbish and insulting, it also leads to the conjecture that something is amiss to begin with

surely you can understand the impression some get when an org ISN"T forthright and forthcoming to very simple answers to very simple questions posed to them from 'outsiders',that maybe something is being hidden

i can think of no other reason for the lack of reply

i would think that each certified 'agent' should have the certifying agency posted right next to it on the mac site, no? in interests of transparency?

surely these are not area 51 type questions :wink:

MaryHM

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO you will required to be certified with someone if you want to carry on business in MO in the future. I believe that certification will be done through MAC.

What is your exit strategy?
You cannot sell your business without disclosing to the proposed buyer that BILL 4928 will have an effect on your MO business.

I think I've made it clear that I don't intend to carry on business in the MO industry in the future. And that was before this bill ever came along. In fact, my husband and I decided at the end of last spring.

My exit strategy is none of your business.

MaryHM

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what to do about it, but it may require very aggressive moderatorship.

WHy do you need to do anything about it? You're not the moderator here any longer, in part (how much can be argued) because of your own personal behavior toward the members of this forum. Seriously John, why do you even care? You rarely post over here anymore, you've repeatedly called everyone in here who disagrees with the MAC line crazy. So what do you care if we sit here and quibble back and forth? Afraid someone might get a poor view of MAC? Believe me, MAC does that well enough on its own. Ask your own MAC certified dealers. See how many are extremely satisfied with MAC's accomplishments.

dizzy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And one more point John. Innocent and nefarious aren't antonyms. Glenn does a great job as moderator. Len is also extremely fair and objective. You already had a shot and quite frankly you weren't very good at it. Try and find a role in life that is more fitting with your God given talents. Your a sharp guy John, find your calling.
Mitch

John_Brandt

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dizzy":3j970xu7 said:
I just can't for the life of me understand this USL thing at all. People catch and eat this stuff for goodness sake. Allowing some of it to be sacrificed actually ends up protecting more than putting it on this list.

Your sentiments and philosophy will fly over the conservationist and hobbyist community like a lead balloon, regardless if it is true or not. I fully understand your position but some middle ground has to be reached, if for no other reason than the industy/hobby's ethical responsibilities to itself. Right now everybody is looking at each other. Trying to justify mortalities within and after the chain of custody when something could be done about it is going to be a hard sell.

The issues of unsuitable species (US) fall into two broad categories. Issues of environmental sustainability and issues of ethics and humaneness. There is also an overlapping of those categories.

Environmental Sustainability is a concern that the harvest of some species may adversely alter the ecosystem that they were removed from. In the worst case scenario species may be threatened with true or virtual extinction either locally, regionally or globally. CITES exists to prevent that from happening and one could boldly say that CITES would stop that if it were to occur. But there is an opportunity for the trade to "regulate" itself as a preemption to CITES action or State and Federal legislation. Regardless, determinations are going to have to be conducted as real science or they will not be regarded as meaningful on the world's stage.

Ethics and Humaneness is a concern that some species have such poor ability to adapt to captivity that it is unethical to trade them because of the mortality that consumers will experience with them. Many hobbyists quickly develop an emotional attachment to their reef animals that begins to expand outwards to all reef animals everywhere. When they realize that with some species great numbers of them must be collected in order for a statistically low number to thrive in aquariums they often become incensed and disillusioned with what is going on. In the big picture, there are really not that many species that firmly fall into that category. And for the most part, market demands have kept their trade to relatively low numbers anyway.

Concerning MAC and US: As outlined in its standards and mission MAC will be forming an US Committee to evaluate and make determinations about declaring certain species as unsuitable and consequently un-certifiable. There are already provisions in the MAC standards for exception to this, one being bonafide research into how US could be converted to suitable. How this would be accomplished has not been worked out yet, but will be. Even still, this does not mean that US could not be brought to the marketplace, only that they could not be certified. MAC Certified industry operators are allowed to trade in non-certified species, they just cannot trade them as being certified.

Personally, I do not believe that US should or need to be a part of HR 4928. Ethical issues are best handled by the trade itself. Environmental issues of local or global threats to extinction of species is already the domain of CITES. But the trade or associated organizations can act more quickly and specifically to these threats than CITES by means of sustainability programs.

Obviously, there are a thousand facets to this that deserve to be discussed and opinions and facts need to be heard.

These MAC people are supposed to be scientists for Christ sake.

For Christ sake no they are not. In general, MAC staff are comprised of a variety of skills and education some of which are scientists. MAC contracts scientists for reef surveys and evaluations of sustainability. In the case of ecosystem sustainability issues scientists need to be a major part of determinations. But in the case of ethical issues, scientists would seem to have no better input than any other person involved in the trade or hobby unless there are some specific questions that can be best answered by science.

dizzy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
John_Brandt":1ge8u1a2 said:
Your sentiments and philosophy will fly over the conservationist and hobbyist community like a lead balloon, regardless if it is true or not. I fully understand your position but some middle ground has to be reached, if for no other reason than the industy/hobby's ethical responsibilities to itself. Right now everybody is looking at each other. Trying to justify mortalities within and after the chain of custody when something could be done about it is going to be a hard sell.

Your prolly right that logic and truth don't seem to be very big on these people's agenda. I've always been for compromise and moving toward middle ground. In order for that to happen both sides have got to be willing to move to the center. I'm actually already there, and always have been, you guys are just to far left of center to realize it.
Mitch

dizzy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Don't Wanna Fight
Tina Turner
(S.DuBerry/Lulu/B.Lawrie)

There's a pale moon in the sky
The kind you make your wishes on
Like the light in your eyes
The one I built my dreams upon
It's not there any longer
Something happened somewhere
And we both know what
But meaning's getting stronger
We must stop pretending
I can't live this life

I don't care who's wrong or right
I don't really wanna fight no more
Too much talking
Let's sleep on it tonight
This is time for letting go

I hear a whisper in the air
It simply doesn't bother me
Can't you see that I don't care
Or are you looking right through me
It seems to me lately
You look at me the wrong way
And I start to cry
Could it be that maybe
This crazy situation is the reason why

Too much talking
Let's sleep on it tonight
Tired of all these games
Baby don't you know
I don't wanna hurt no more
This time I'm walking Babe
Don't care now who's to blame

Hanging on to the past
It only stands in our way
We have to grow for love to last
But we just grew apart

Don't wanna hurt no more

But, Baby don't you know -- NO
I don't wanna hurt no more
Too much talking
Tired of all these games
This time I'm walking Babe
So let's sleep on it tonight
No -- I don't wanna hurt no more
Too much talking

Let it go
Let it go
Let it go
Let it go...

MaryHM

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh Mitch! That was so appropriate and so moving (and so in keeping with our musical theme!). Now I want to see you and John kiss. :P :P :P

dizzy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your outta luck Mary. I'm straight. I just can't take it any more. I'm like you in a way. I want to find a way out of the business. For 20 years I've tried to run a clean decent business, I'm old and tired now. The battle between the evil industry and the environmentalists. I don't want to be involved. It's like another Viet Nam. Let's all go to Canada and live with Wayne. :wink:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: