TiM71717

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Hey all,

I have a RSM 250 that I will be setting up soon (if I stop procrastinating), and transferring the contents of this tank into it:

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/tank-threads/99126-new-pics.html

I was wondering if anyone knew of somewhere that I could have my RSM hood modified to have LEDs (high powered ones, not moon lights), instead of the T5 bulbs. If not, maybe a good DIY LED article for this specific tank hood? Thanks in advance

-Tim

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
i dont know about the 250 but on the 130 it was really hard to mod the canopy. there wasnt really enough space to fit a heatsink, and there are almost no good mounting points.

not sure if the 250 is similar, but you might just look at squeezing some of the ecoxotic led strips in there.

or, if the 250 uses standard t5's (unlike the 130) you might be able to find some of the led strips that are the same form factor. fitting the driver might be a pain though.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
I prefer more blue, and regarding PAR, I'm not 100% sure how much more I'd want. Basically I want to be able to keep any types of sps down the line. Maybe between 200 and 300 ? or is that too much?
OK. I will measure the initial setup and see whether we need to go up or down in the quantity of the LEDs.

As a reminder, when we add more blue, the PAR will go up but our eyes will not registered as brighter.

TiM71717

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
So I just got my Red Sea Max 250 hood back from Wingo, who modified the hood to have a super-badass LED system. He did an AMAZING job. The LEDs are all contained within the original lighting area, and he installed some awesome controllers that allow me to completely customize the appearance and colors of the tank. The spectrum fillers allow me to add in other RGB hues to really make it a truly gorgeous display. It came out better than I could've imagined, and Wingo was very informative, friendly, helpful, thorough, fast, and professional. He preserved the original appearance of the hood, and managed to install everything within it. I can't praise his work enough. If anyone else has a Red Sea Max 250 and were thinking about making the switch to LED's, Wingo is your man. He was a pleasure to deal with, especially since my knowledge of LED's was pretty lacking, and I was scared to do a DIY solution. Pictures and videos will be coming soon!

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Hey, thanks for the kind words and the before/after pics.

So I just got my Red Sea Max 250 hood back from Wingo, who modified the hood to have a super-badass LED system. He did an AMAZING job. The LEDs are all contained within the original lighting area, and he installed some awesome controllers that allow me to completely customize the appearance and colors of the tank. The spectrum fillers allow me to add in other RGB hues to really make it a truly gorgeous display. It came out better than I could've imagined, and Wingo was very informative, friendly, helpful, thorough, fast, and professional. He preserved the original appearance of the hood, and managed to install everything within it. I can't praise his work enough. If anyone else has a Red Sea Max 250 and were thinking about making the switch to LED's, Wingo is your man. He was a pleasure to deal with, especially since my knowledge of LED's was pretty lacking, and I was scared to do a DIY solution. Pictures and videos will be coming soon!

Attachments

• T5 RSM 250 57G Tank Shot.jpg
    T5 RSM 250 57G Tank Shot.jpg
    586 KB · Views: 1,635
  • WingoLED 5 channel LED moded RSM 250 57G tankshot.jpg
    WingoLED 5 channel LED moded RSM 250 57G tankshot.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 1,650
  • The Circuit.jpg
    The Circuit.jpg
    499.6 KB · Views: 1,590

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: