cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
The BK is built like a tank, but also cost like a tank:). The lid on the skimmer is way over built, it will not fly like a frisbee if I ever decide to throw it. All that money paid for the BK I still think my Barr is a better built skimmer. I had said it many times before, skimmer is the one piece of equipment in our system that gets the most fiddling and chances of damage.

Deltec skims very well, but it is no tank, I will let you all know what I think of the DAS when I get my hands on one. Pet-o-Roma customer service does suck for sure, they don't answer emails or phone call messages in a timely matter, not sure why DAS don't have a better dealer in the US.

Hey Herm, can I tell yo my skimmer collection too?:D Out of all the skimmers I have used, from the $30 seaclown to the $2k BK, the MRC is still the biggest piece of crap I ever put my hands on, their customer service sucks big one too.

Jonathan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well since we're all agreeing to disagree (isnt that what this hobby is all about?!) herman i have to disagree with you also. I've owned a cpr bakpak, urchin, coralife ss 65, asm g1x, tunze 9005, h&s a110, and now the ex1. The h&s is the most well reinforced/built/constructed one I've owned and I think the ex1 is on par with it.
The only thing I don't like about the ex1 is that there's no way to control the water level in the skimmer, like a wedge pipe or gate valve. for that reason I give the nod to the h&s (uses a wedge pipe), but after taking into consideration price, the fact that i can add a gate valve to it, and that its a slightly bigger skimmer (body and pump) for less money, i have to declare the winner of my skimmers the ex1.
....but once I get my tank setup and the skimmer running, maybe it wont perform as well. but who knows, i hope it does.

and unfortunately i dont have the right plumbing fittings to hook it up, so no action shots for a while :(

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Heh, heh,
Notice there is no MRC in my collection!

Guys be warned that you don't set off cali on the "MRC" thing :lol2:

Notice how we totally disregarded Rich's statement of "don't post unless you have pics of your skimmer"

Rich, I love ya too :D

Jonathan

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so why is everybody hatin' on the MRC's? theres a few posts about why they suck (product and customer service). I have a few friends that are happy users and they seem to be performing very well.

michaelp

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I got my DAS BX2 today and it came with half a dried up orange peel in it. Also it looks like they glued the tube on top crooked... and no directions (Ronen warned me about that). Weird.

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
michaelp said:
I got my DAS BX2 today and it came with half a dried up orange peel in it. Also it looks like they glued the tube on top crooked... and no directions (Ronen warned me about that). Weird.

Dammit!!! Why didnt we get an orange peel!!!!!!:irked: I feel cheated and degraded...............

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
the DAS directions are put in sump and plug in, then adjust air valves for tiny bubbles and raise or lower the lift gate so the foam is at the top of the riser tube. then wait for skimmate. hth.

ereefic

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jonathan said:
so why is everybody hatin' on the MRC's? theres a few posts about why they suck (product and customer service). I have a few friends that are happy users and they seem to be performing very well.

Someone has had a problem with MRC and can't seem to let it go, but I can't remember who it was. :shhh: :)

I don't know what all the flak is. I've owned 3 and all are built well and perform great as well. Customer service has been one of the best of all companies i've dealt with. Can't find any unhappy customers really.

Oh, now I remember who it was, Cali_reef. :duh: :lol2: I wish you'd tell your story here, for all to see. I tried to get it from you in a PM, but you came of as very defensive right off the bat, so I didn't want to deal with it. I am in no way associated with MRC, only as a customer like everybody else. Please, share.:thanks:

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I don't have a MRC skimmer, but I do have one of their CA reactors.
To make is safe, and get it to work properly I had to replace all the fittings and valves on it. They used the cheapest stuff you could imagine.
So if the skimmers are made the same way I could see why someone who picks apart a BK would have a problem with them ;) :lol2:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Just a bit OT here, but I have an MRC fluidized media chamber. When I hooked it up it leaked continuously from the true union. I had Andy at MRC send me another fitting. It still leaked. He finally had to replace the entire top section. It has worked great from that point on, but took awhile to get to that point.

swimmer

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
ereefic said:
Oh, now I remember who it was, Cali_reef. :duh: :lol2: I wish you'd tell your story here, for all to see.

I told my story on RC, Andy had it deleted and had two of the mods trying to get me thrown off there. Luckily I know few mods my self and had all that straighten out. Do a search on RC with my name and MRC, you'll still find pieces of the incident. One of the person involved in the whole bad experience is a local dealer and had told lies to some of the local club members, all that to sell more crappy skimmer:D. I have emails from both of them with their lies, I would send these and the RC PM's to you but asked for the reasons why you are interested and also asked you not to publish them, you were the one that got a little defensive.

I tell people all the MRC products(one skimmer, collector, and a kalk reactor) I owned are POS, many other people have issues with their MRC product as well. I don't understand why people think Andy's customer service is good when he built the crappy product to begin with, you should only experience good service if you had problems not caused by his crappy material choice and poor craftsmanship. Garbage product with mediocre service = Piece of Crap.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
5 Days of skimmate :tired: It still doesn't look like Hermans BX-3 Running but it is skimming a little junk out.
Picture146.jpg

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
hey rich on that skimmer u cant up the bubbles in the reaction chamber... or maybe add more water to ur sump will that affect anything... after 5 days i would expect a little more skimmate from such a great piece of equipment...

michael chu

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
here i get my skimmer working
it starting skimming after set up new skimmer

Attachments

• DSCF0849.JPG
    DSCF0849.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 468
  • DSCF0856.JPG
    DSCF0856.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 465
  • DSCF0857.JPG
    DSCF0857.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 461
  • DSCF0854.JPG
    DSCF0854.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 467

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
In my das ex-2 the bubbles are near the bottom and there are no micro bubbles coming out at all. I wonder about that H&S design also. But if it works then that's what matters.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: