shibbyplustax

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hello MR, my name is sean. For a long time now i have wanted to set up my first nano reef. Over the past year i have been researching, reading, watching and slowly been gathering supplies. i got my nanocube 24, aqua c remora skimmer, led lights, ro system, and all the other reefing essentials. I am at the point now where the next step is to get this tank wet. The only problem I have is that my parents are in the process of trying to sell our house. I am worried about having to transport a fully stocked reef tank to my next home. I have been trying to hold off until we move but the house has been on the market for a while and i really am not sure if or when it is going to sell. It is kinda hard putting my life on hold and just waiting for this thing to sell so i think i may just go ahead and set it up. I am hoping that i can meet a member on here that is close to where i am and may be willing to hold on to my fish and/or corals if need be when i finally sell my house. Like i said i really have no idea when that will be but it will make me feel a little better knowing that someone could just hold on to my life stock for a while while im in the moving process. I live in suffolk county in east setauket and most likely moving to port jeff. If anyone would be willing to help me out in the future, i would be very grateful. Thanks MR!

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
It sounds like you have been doing your research. So that's good.
In terms of equipment. It's a great way to start off. I started out with an aquapod.

The move seems to be what you are most concerned with.
I say set it up. Most people have probably moved a tank. Either to move residence, or perhaps purchased an entire system from the FS threads.
As long as it does not have to be away from electricity for more than a few hours you will be fine.
But you can cross that bridge later NP.

It sounds like you are going topless if
you have a remora and an LED.
Evaporation will be substantial. An ATO may make things more convenient. But no necessary.

When stocking keep your eye in the FS threads. People are always selling live rock and you will save mucho $$$. Usually between 2-3 bucks a pound.

Thee are lots of people on Long Island. There is also the LIRA club that meets in Commack once a month.

Welcome to MR. It's a great site with knowledgeable, helpful reefers.
When you get set up I have some coral for you.
Get cycling.

shibbyplustax

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Thanks for the responses so far! Seriously, what an awesome community! Yeah i am not too worried about anything besides having to move the tank once its set up. i dont want to buy a bunch of nice corals only to have them die in a few months. I forgot to add that we will most likely be building a new home so i will have to live in a rental for a few months. I will obviously try and just transfer the tank from house to house but i would just like to know if i needed someone to hold on to a few things that there would be someone willing to help. Thanks for making me feel better about not being patient enough to wait!

drej424

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
+2... It usually takes about 3 months after a house goes to contract before you have to move. It takes time for the buyers to get a mortgage and it takes time for all the other paperwork to go through. So you will have plenty of time to prepare for moving your tank. Set it up and enjoy!

Denise

shibbyplustax

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
It sounds like you have been doing your research. So that's good.
In terms of equipment. It's a great way to start off. I started out with an aquapod.

The move seems to be what you are most concerned with.
I say set it up. Most people have probably moved a tank. Either to move residence, or perhaps purchased an entire system from the FS threads.
As long as it does not have to be away from electricity for more than a few hours you will be fine.
But you can cross that bridge later NP.

It sounds like you are going topless if
you have a remora and an LED.
Evaporation will be substantial. An ATO may make things more convenient. But no necessary.

When stocking keep your eye in the FS threads. People are always selling live rock and you will save mucho $$$. Usually between 2-3 bucks a pound.

Thee are lots of people on Long Island. There is also the LIRA club that meets in Commack once a month.

Welcome to MR. It's a great site with knowledgeable, helpful reefers.
When you get set up I have some coral for you.
Get cycling.

I am not 100% if i am going to go topless or not. I took apart the hood that the nano cube came with and i am going to try to use the bottom splash guard as a cover. Hopefully this will keep evap to a minimum. As far as live rock i was thinking of spending a little extra and getting some premium deco live rock from gulf love rock. Has anyone ever used this? I like the thought of preexisting corals and stuff but i am scared of getting nasty hitch hikers.

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
If I was Starting a new tank I would use the real reef rock stuff. It's purple, cycled and critter free.
Aquarium village has tons of it. Literally.
They will also let you cherry pick the pieces you like.

shibbyplustax

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
If I was Starting a new tank I would use the real reef rock stuff. It's purple, cycled and critter free.
Aquarium village has tons of it. Literally.
They will also let you cherry pick the pieces you like.

That stuff is like synthetic right? Is it just as good with filtration than live rock? I kinda like the thought of so much different life on my rock to begin with though. I plan on just getting a few lbs of live rock at a lfs just to kind of cycle it so i dont have too much die off with the deco rock. Is it that much of a risk (hitch hiker-wise) to get the premium deco gulf rock?

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
You can go either way. It's really preference.
For me after dealing with aiptasia and gorilla crabs I would go synthetic or macro dry rock.
I used reef saver rock from Brs.

shibbyplustax

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Finally got this thing up and running. I ended up going with the real reef rocks and i think i made the right choice. I may add another rock or two but im pretty happy with my aquascaping.
satemezu.jpg

zuqy9ahe.jpg

aza8u9eh.jpg

If anyone wanted to throw me a frag or two i wont be mad : )

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: