duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Long Island people why havent you joined LIRA yet. It is a great club and is what makes this hobby so amazing. Once a month all us reef guys get together for great speakers,raffles,auctions and just talk everything reefs. We have great Xmas parties and great events for the families. At each Meeting James from the club puts out food and drinks for everyone as well. If you live on LI and love reefs this is something you really need to be part of :)

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I was a member one year, a certain circumstance happened that completely turned me off and I was not going to join again. Really doesnt apply anymore since I'm in PA now. Glad you enjoy it and I hope the experiences related to it are always enjoyable for you guys.

Sharkbait420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What goes on at a typical meeting? Are all the meetings at the aquarium in Riverhead? I was looking at the website and it looks like a fun time.

Membership is only $25 and according to the website a lot of places offer a 10% discount for members which makes it a great investment.

Here is a link to the reef associations website for those intrested.

http://longislandreef.org

Last edited by a moderator:

qy7400

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
We only hold special events at the aquarium, NERAC/Family Fun Day/Holiday Party. The rest of the meetings are held in Commack (Acan Lighting office). Typical meeting is everyone chatting while admiring James 4 tanks, quick update on club and upcoming event, speaker followed by coral auction and 50/50 raffle.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
The meetings are the 1st Friday of each month...except the next meeting which is actually the Holiday Party (on Dec 7th) and that is being held at the Aquarium.
There is a fee for the party and to attend you have to already be a member (as in you can't pay at the door).

I'm sure Joe (qy7400) will chime back in with info on how you can join.

..and yes, I am a member there too ..even if James just thinks it's the guys..lol
Once a month all us reef guys get together

Sharkbait420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We only hold special events at the aquarium, NERAC/Family Fun Day/Holiday Party. The rest of the meetings are held in Commack (Acan Lighting office). Typical meeting is everyone chatting while admiring James 4 tanks, quick update on club and upcoming event, speaker followed by coral auction and 50/50 raffle.

Who's James?

You should see if he aquarium will sponsor some free cage dives for one of the events.

Sharkbait420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The meetings are the 1st Friday of each month...except the next meeting which is actually the Holiday Party (on Dec 7th) and that is being held at the Aquarium.
There is a fee for the party and to attend you have to already be a member (as in you can't pay at the door).

I'm sure Joe (qy7400) will chime back in with info on how you can join.

..and yes, I am a member there too ..even if James just thinks it's the guys..lol

Thanks for the information. Is this the James whos tanks everyone admires?

Last edited:

drej424

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I've been a member for years! (another female reefer) I haven't been to a meeting in a while, since I usually go out with my husband on Fridays. But it's an amazing club, with great people and great events! Our family went to Family Fun Day at the Long Island Aquarium this summer - a reefers heaven! Anyway, they don't give free shark cage dives, but they do give behind the scenes tours of the main tank. One year, Joe let my kids feed the fish! This year, he brought the resident penguin out. Many of my coral colonies started as frags bought at auctions from the club. And it is not only for people from Long Island. Anyone can join. We have a family membership.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: