Status
Not open for further replies.

jscarlata

Aspiring Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
where is the best place to buy gravel and rocks etc on long island, preferably Nassau county...we all know the ripoff artists at Aquarium Adventure, every time I go in that place i get disgusted at their prices...is petco the best source, or is their a better LFS that is knowledgeable and fairly priced? I know this is a reef forum, but i'n doing an african tank and am looking for the Cichlid Mix of gravel, its all shells and stuff for african tanks...AA wanted 52.00 a bag

Last edited by a moderator:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
For items like these I would go to The Pet Barn in Franklin Square (on Franklin Ave, a few blocks south of Hempstead Turnpike, west side of st).

Their livestock is healthy and they have a wide selection and decent pricing.

You might also consider joining the Nassau County Aquarium Society as we have monthly meetings (not in July & Aug though) at Molloy College in RVC, an interesting speaker at each meeting , a raffle & auction (all FW stuff) and many of our members are breeders. We are also holding a HUGE FW Auction on November 13th where many breeders & hobbyists from the tei-state will gather :)

jscarlata

Aspiring Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
For items like these I would go to The Pet Barn in Franklin Square (on Franklin Ave, a few blocks south of Hempstead Turnpike, west side of st).

You might also consider joining the Nassau County Aquarium Society as we have monthly meetings (not in July & Aug though) at Molloy College in RVC, an interesting speaker at each meeting , a raffle & auction (all FW stuff) and many of our members are breeders. We are also holding a HUGE FW Auction on November 13th where many breeders & hobbyists from the tei-state will gather :)

that's great, they are really close, i'm in garden city...thanks!

bigsink

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
469   0   0
Check out CaribSea Sahara sand for your cichlid tank. It is the best substrate for african cichlids. I've kept a cichlid or two. If you need a few local sources for good quality cichlids, send me a pm. Definitely join Nassau County Aquarium Society. Great group of people and awesome meetings.

jscarlata

Aspiring Reefer
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Kathy you were ON THE MONEY with this place, i must have passed by it a hundred times..very nice owner, livestock and prices were great, true perc pairs for 29.99??? i was pleased with th e prices...when i convert this to salt water i will buy stuff from pet barn...thanks for the tip

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Kathy you were ON THE MONEY with this place, i must have passed by it a hundred times..very nice owner, livestock and prices were great, true perc pairs for 29.99??? i was pleased with th e prices...when i convert this to salt water i will buy stuff from pet barn...thanks for the tip

Yeah, Scott is a great guy. I love this store too!
I had forgotten about their SW selection. They don't carry much any longer but will still order whatever you might want and Manny there is very knowledgable in SW.
A few years back they had a HUGE SW section, but were forced to trim it down greatly due to economic factors.

Definitely join Nassau County Aquarium Society. Great group of people and awesome meetings.
Thanks John ;) We can always use good press!
I should post meeting notices in the Nudibar to announce our meetings/speakers/special events once we resume our regular schedule in September:flower:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: