Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2011, 12:57 PM
Zooooooooooo's
Reefer Ratings: (6 (100%)
Friends: (2)
Send a Private Message
chalices Chalice help...

Just bought my first chalice, believe it is a nightmare or darth maul. My problem is idk what they need have read all over these forums and on reef2reef and rc that different people say different things. Low light, high light, strong flow, low flow. Please give me some info on how to care for it cause its a pretty sweet little chalice! and will probably get some more in the near future.
Thanks for any advice!
Old 07-15-2011, 01:09 PM
ed4
Idling
Reefer Ratings: (16 (100%)
Friends: (36)
Send a Private Message
I'm not a chalice-keeper, but isn't the general sentiment that of low/medium light and movement over the coral without making the skin jiggle rapidly from the flow? Might also vary between different types of chalices.

When I hear that something needs high light and flow, to me, it's a bright & intense environment with flow that can make some corals wobble in place.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:32 PM
Zooooooooooo's
Send a Private Message
idk if this helps but I have VHO's and the chalice is 8-10 inches below water level, and the lights are 4 inches above that (so its 12-14 inches below lights). What would you say the lighting intensity is on the chalice? IMO judging light intensity is hard because there is no standard to say whats high, medium, and low.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:09 PM
ed4
Idling
Reefer Ratings: (16 (100%)
Friends: (36)
Send a Private Message
How many VHO bulbs are in your fixture?

We can rule out high intensity lights in your application.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:24 PM
Zooooooooooo's
Send a Private Message
Good cause the chalice is in the perfect position at the top! lol Running 1 vho 50/50, 1 t8 blue, and 1 vho 50/50 over the chalice and its in the middle of the tank... and 8-10 in below the water surface.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:26 PM
Zooooooooooo's
Send a Private Message
If not a chalice-keeper, what do you keep?
Old 07-15-2011, 05:06 PM
Reefer Ratings: (17 (100%)
Friends: (7)
Send a Private Message
I have only two, but I keep them both on the bottom with medium flow. I am running a 14 bulb T5 fixture so i would say it's high intensity. My Mummy's Eye has more than doubled in 6 months where it is. The other is tiny and new, so too soon to tell.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:07 PM
Aquarium Village
Reefer Ratings: (17 (95%)
Friends: (58)
Send a Private Message
start with low light and move around until you see the best colors, some chalice love low light, some love med light, and some do really well under high light. I would say low/med for your particular piece
Old 07-15-2011, 07:10 PM
Zooooooooooo's
Send a Private Message
But with my lighting and position in tank would you consider it under medium light or high? Should I move it down? are there signs that i should move it down? cause it looks good now, but am going away in 2 weeks for 3 weeks so i want it in the best possible spot while im away!
Old 07-15-2011, 07:12 PM
Zooooooooooo's
Send a Private Message
Its also hard to tell if it's "happy" cause unlike a zoa it doesn't look drastically different from open to closed. so what are some signs that they aren't liking their conditions? they are supposed to be pretty hardy corals... correct?