Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2011, 12:30 AM
Reefer Ratings: (25 (100%)
Friends: (1)
Send a Private Message
Lobophyllia not eating

Hi, came out of lurking to ask a question. I got a Lobophyllia colony recently (pictured below) that I'm trying to feed, but I get no real feeding response like I do with my other LPS despite what I do. I had a platygyra in my previous tank that I never got a feeding response out of either that eventually wasted away, so I'd like to avoid that with this coral.

So far, the ways I've tried are waving the food (I've used mysis, krill, frozen brine shrimp and Reef Chili) over the coral to see if tentacles come out and shutting off the pump and letting the different foods fall onto the coral. MAYBE I got 1 or 2 mouths to eat a brine shrimp but that's about it.

It seems pretty healthy otherwise, but then again, it's only been like a few weeks.

Any other suggestions or help is greatly appreciated, thanks!
Attached Thumbnails

Old 12-29-2011, 12:24 PM
Reefer Ratings: (63 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
I have some corals that don't put out tentacles but yet the food seems to get ingested. Make sure it is very finely chopped and leave it in each center and leave the pumps off for 20-30 minutes. If it needs to eat it will.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:34 PM
The All Powerful OZ
Moderator: This member is a Moderator. - Issue reason: Moderator badge 
Reefer Ratings: (52 (98%)
Friends: (43)
Send a Private Message
It's very common for a coral, that hasn't been fed regularly, for the tentacles not to come out, or if they do, just very short ones. You want to just keep feeding, but not over feeding it, and over time the tentacles will come out further and further.

The best time to feed it would be at night, as that is the time the tentacles will most likely be out.

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright before they speak.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.

It is far easier to fool people than to show them that they've been fooled.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:06 PM
Reefer Ratings: (25 (100%)
Friends: (1)
Send a Private Message
Is there a particular food size (like mysis size, brine shrimp size, or rotifer size) that lobos tend to favor more?

I will try feeding it at night then.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:46 AM
Reefer Ratings: (0 (0%)
Send a Private Message
Try offering liquid food such as zooplankton or marine snow, cyclopeze and/or arctipods to try to entice it to expand its tentacles.
Having said this, however, it seems like a very healthy brain coral and really doesn't need to be target fed to thrive in your tank since this species of coral is photosynthetic and will receive nutrients from its host zooxanthellae residing in the corals tissue!
Old 04-17-2012, 02:13 AM
Reefer Ratings: (71 (100%)
Friends: (97)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by marrone View Post
It's very common for a coral, that hasn't been fed regularly, for the tentacles not to come out, or if they do, just very short ones. You want to just keep feeding, but not over feeding it, and over time the tentacles will come out further and further.

The best time to feed it would be at night, as that is the time the tentacles will most likely be out.
+1 def try at night and also try liquid type foods like planktons etc
Old 04-25-2012, 09:49 PM
Reefer Ratings: (4 (83%)
Send a Private Message
Try feeding when the tank lights are off.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:43 PM
PADI Dive Inst
Reefer Ratings: (30 (100%)
Friends: (26)
Send a Private Message
My lobo goes nuts for oyster feast. I add it right when the main lights go off and the blues stay on for 30 more minutes. It shows a strong feeding response with great extension on the tentacles.

My tank thread
https://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/...next-tank.html

iPhone YouTube videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/BazzaH2O?feature=mhee

Is it centrifugal or centripetal force?
Old 04-26-2012, 01:27 AM
vendor
Reefer Ratings: (31 (100%)
Friends: (6)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralreefer1 View Post
Try offering liquid food such as zooplankton or marine snow, cyclopeze and/or arctipods to try to entice it to expand its tentacles.
Having said this, however, it seems like a very healthy brain coral and really doesn't need to be target fed to thrive in your tank since this species of coral is photosynthetic and will receive nutrients from its host zooxanthellae residing in the corals tissue!
Has anyone here ever had a bad reaction from target feeding marine snow. One member told me that they tried feeding an LPS by target feeding it marine snow and it pretty much disintegrated and came off the skeleton for a few weeks before it began healing.

I agree with everyone else that said that you have a better chance of feeding them at night. Some corals won't put out there tentacles because they are exposing themselves to threats so it's usually at night that they feel safe enough to put their tentacles out to eat. Marine snow, mysis or whatever u want to use is fine.

Did you dip it before putting it in your system?