Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2012, 04:38 PM
Reefer Ratings: (29 (100%)
Friends: (10)
Send a Private Message
Are scoly all brown?

Today I saw a "war paint" scoly for sale for $70, it was about 3"-4". I thought it was a good price and the animal looked healthy, but it was all brown. The tank was under halides and actinic. Is it a good price? Why is it all brown? Do you think it would color up under led? I know I could have asked the guy working there, but he wasn't very knowledgeable, i think its the owner son.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:53 PM
Winter. Time for Flakes..
Reefer Ratings: (88 (100%)
Friends: (36)
Send a Private Message
under halides... it may have burnt the flesh... ie.. sun tan. It will change color provided it is removed and in less intense lighting. this is not to say that it won't brown out again under leds either.

inkblue - 10:13 PM : u suPPose to do ur RG duTy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob&Gab View Post
seesh, people really need to be taught a lesson. Stop being a little internet gangster please. you must like drama cause you keep comming back for it.
Canal Street coral vendors... BAhahahAHAHAH!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvanwhy View Post
Thanks confusious why don't we meet up so I can turn your avatar into a reality
Old 02-25-2012, 08:53 PM
Send a Private Message
Well it didn't look like it was stressed or dying. When you say burned my understanding is that the color pigments are lost, it didn't look that way, it looked like it was brown.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:36 PM
Reefer Ratings: (71 (100%)
Friends: (97)
Send a Private Message
I doubt it was a war paint scoly maybe it was just mislabelled war paint scolys are usually purple w/ red/orange in them either that or like skene said it could have been burnt or something but if it was under actinics and halides it should have been very colorful.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:31 PM
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIGGERMAN View Post
I doubt it was a war paint scoly maybe it was just mislabelled war paint scolys are usually purple w/ red/orange in them either that or like skene said it could have been burnt or something but if it was under actinics and halides it should have been very colorful.
Right that was my understanding, meaning warpaint should be very colorful..i tried to do a google search, but i couldn't find an all brown scoly, if it were very colorful i might have just bought it, but all brown it looked ugly..lol.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:05 PM
Reefer Ratings: (71 (100%)
Friends: (97)
Send a Private Message
Yea sounds ugly I wouldn't waste my money lol
Old 02-26-2012, 04:34 PM
Reefer Ratings: (54 (100%)
Friends: (18)
Send a Private Message
they turn completly white when the are stressed out--high lighting--one of mine turned all white when i placed him under my leds.. it started finally to get it color back but it lost it all again this week!? this one scoly is so sensitive!