MACH5

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
89   0   0
Guys I have a decent size Spiderman zoa colony that I'd like to frag. It's growing on a large rock so can't take it out. Knowing this how can I best take frags and what is the best tool for the job?

I appreciate any tips. Thanks so much!

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
If you can get a screw driver in there and break off a piece of rock that would be the easiest. If you can pop a piece off then cut the mat where it attaches to the 2 pieces (if you break it off in the middle). You can use an exacto knife also.

I may be interested in a frag btw (depending on your location)

MACH5

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
89   0   0
If you can get a screw driver in there and break off a piece of rock that would be the easiest. If you can pop a piece off then cut the mat where it attaches to the 2 pieces (if you break it off in the middle). You can use an exacto knife also.

I may be interested in a frag btw (depending on your location)

Ok thanks. Yes I was planning to use a screw driver but wanted to check with some of you guys first.

Ok will let you know as soon as they're ready. I will hopefully be making several frags with two to three polyps each. I am in northern NJ but can also meet someone specially if it's in NYC.

chessmanmark

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Be careful with zoas. Wear rubber gloves and eye protection. I find it easiest to use a chisel. I rock the chisel back and forth and chip off a piece of the rock with the zoas you want to peel off.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I use a large xacto knife and slice some of the rock under the zoa. Then clean this part of the frag and use crazy glue to adhere to the new frag location.
I do this on a table with a tub of tank water on the side to place the frags into.
Zoas can remain out of water for quite some time as you frag them. If you fragged in the tank then you would have to track them down.
When you are finished place everything in the tub of tank water for maybe an hour and then back in the tank. Place the new frags in a low flow area until they start to heal. Maybe a week.
Wear some eye protection and rubber gloves if you have any cuts. Most important research palytoxin before you do this. Highly unlikely but I have read posts where people were messed up from this.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: