Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 01:37 PM
Reefer Ratings: (4 (100%)
Friends: (1)
Send a Private Message
Dipping Neon Torch

is it safe to dip a large neon torch in melafix? I have some hydroids growing on the base and want to dip it to try and rid these guys.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:19 PM
Reefer Ratings: (0 (0%)
Friends: (29)
Send a Private Message
I, personally had real bad experiences with melafix, try kent reef dip , or a lower dosage with Lugol
Old 09-07-2012, 03:39 PM
Reefer Ratings: (71 (100%)
Friends: (97)
Send a Private Message
Me too melafix and coral rx are things that euphyllias should definitely not be dipped in. I don't think any pests go on them anyway.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:09 PM
Reefer Ratings: (4 (100%)
Friends: (4)
Send a Private Message
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerman View Post
me too melafix and coral rx are things that euphyllias should definitely not be dipped in. I don't think any pests go on them anyway.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:41 PM
Swap Crew:  - Issue reason:  
Reefer Ratings: (32 (100%)
Friends: (12)
Send a Private Message View brunoboarder2444's Twitter Profile
could you maybe only dip the base and leave the rest sticking out of it....i know hammers and frogspawns are fine to be out of water for short periods of time like a couple minutes....maybe if you keep pouring tank water over it?
Old 12-13-2012, 02:00 PM
Reefer Ratings: (100 (100%)
Friends: (140)
Send a Private Message
I have dipped euphyllias in Seachem Coral Dip with NO ill effects! First time I did it was some years back when I did two reefers a favor by holding a nem on a rock over night. Well, that nem & the rock had flat worms on it so I had no choice but to dip the frogspawn cause all the fw jumped on it.
Recently I got a frogspawn amongst other corals which were all dipped in Bayer Advance Home Pest with Germ Killer. Again no ill effects....

Wouldn't recommend Melafix
Old 12-13-2012, 03:05 PM
Reefer Ratings: (2 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
I've used Tropic Marin Pro-Coral Cure for knocking flatworms off of Euphyllias, it worked great. I would imagine most iodine-based coral dips would be similarly effective and safe. However, I'm not sure how effective any dip may be against hydroids - your best bet may be to simply wire brush them off the base, then repeat as necessary if they grow back.