Fishtankfrank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Hi all
I currently have a 4 bulb coralife fixture with 4 led moonlights(useless). I ran 2 t5 10,000k and 2 actinic blue 420nm or something. Long story short- it's time to replace my bulbs so I was thinking of going for better color and faster growth
By replacing my current bulbs in the fixture with :

3 t5 12,000k and 1 actinic blue.

Will this be better for keeping lps? I have a 90 gallon tank

Ps I don't like the 10,000k look alone, it's too yellow and I heard 12000 k looks more pleasing to the eye

All suggestions are welcome thanks

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
6500k & 10,000k is what most corals prefer from what I read.

If your water parameters are appropriate for the types of LPS you are keeping T5HO should be sufficient.

If it were me I would make all 4 bulbs 6500k or 10,000k and add either led strip or extra 2 bulb fixrture with supplemental actinic blue.

Fishtankfrank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I have read the same thing but when I have just my 2 t5 10,000k on the tank has such a yellow look. When I flip the actinics on with the t5s it gives the tank that nice clear appearance. If I add a 3rd 1000k and just 1 atinic will the water still have that clear look?
Supplementing with an led can get a little expensive I'm trying to work with what I have lol

hclaveria

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
My problem with my 4 bulb t5 is that they run on two switches, meaning if I just want to run actinic for sunup and sundown, I cant. I tried to do what you are doing by going:

Actinic
12k x 2 (I found that the 12k is more white than the 10K)
Red White (this was recommended for coral growth).

The problem was that if I ran the Red for 12 hours with the Actinic, it promotes Algae growth as well.

My ideal situation would be to run a 6 bulb configuration but its too much for a 55g.

So, my current setup is 2x Super Blue Actinic, 1x 12K, and 1x Red. The Red did work on promoting growth on the corals as well as Coralline. And I like the colors of the tank, not too white/blue, more balanced with the Red.

If I would change anything, I probably would go with Super Blue with Purple on the same switch (havent done it because I dont want to waste money on purple bulb if I don't like it) with the 12k and Red on the other switch.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
2 ATI blue+, 1 GE 65k, 1 fiji purple.

4 T5's on a 90 is not a lot of light. I would have both switches function as one. No need to ease them into such little light. Ideally you would be better off with a new lighting fixture.

Last edited:

Fishtankfrank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Jackson, I agree I would love a 6 bulb fixture but as of not budget wise I have to stick to this.
You say 1 6500k bulb? That's enough to grow lps coral? I know the blue and purple are around 20k so that's what I understand as a weaker light right? That combo should be enough? Also the 6500k I have read promotes alot of algae growth and I kinda know this because I grow my chaeto with a 6500k bulb
Thoughts?

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Frank the bulbs that I listed is my favorite spectrum ascetically. Looks like a 14k spectrum. It makes all colors look good. I grow SPS under these bulbs. You will be able to grow LPS and even SPS high..... it really depends on water quality.

Since your lighting is weak you should run carbon in a reactor changed twice per month. You need the light to penetrate the water well. If growth or algae is an issue limit your phosphate with some GFO such as phosban. Algae grows under any spectrum just need to watch water quality

hclaveria

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Hclaveria I like your idea of 2 blue 1 12k and 1 red. What k is the red bulb though I haven't really heard of a red bulb?

It depends on the brand, I use the Wave Point Red Wave which is 8K. I have the same situation as you, this is what I use and the colors are nice and good growth. Also, the Red Wave 8k is basically the 6.5k with more Red, it is to promote growth.

If you want to test it, I can lend you the Red Wave that I have on my FOWLR. Its an old bulb (went from Reef to Fowlr) but will give you an idea of the look. I'm in NJ though.

Hector

Last edited:

Fishtankfrank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
After alot of research I have some questions.

What would a set up of 2 ati blue plus 20k and 2 aquablue special 12000k look like?
I like the way my 2 10k look with my 2 actinics but I would like it SLIGHTLY bluer.

Also I can't find a brand that makes a high par 10,000k bulb as I was thinking of going 1 10k, 1 ati aqua special, and 2 ati blue plus for that SLIGHTLY bluer look
Suggestions?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: