Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2013, 01:30 PM
Reefer Ratings: (2 (100%)
Friends: (1)
Send a Private Message
please help me restore or salvage my friends coral

not sure what the coral is but I rescued it out of my friends nitrate trap a few months ago.
the whole piece was purple a couple weeks ago and I moved it (probably shouldn't have ) to a new spot. it grew come red cyanobacteria, or some type of red algae ?? and when I removed the bacteria it was all white like that. did the cyano grow because there wasn't enough water flow? or some thing else?
is there any way I can save this piece? do I have to frag it or something? ive never fragged before and im fairly new to reef keeping
will add water parameters tonight. (pretty sure they are spot on)
thanks for your help!

also I have an sps tthat I have some questions about if you care to look.https://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/...ml#post1356720
Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Joeb; 06-16-2013 at 01:36 PM.. Reason: added link
Old 06-17-2013, 10:34 AM
Reefer Ratings: (46 (100%)
Friends: (10)
Send a Private Message
It looks like a pagoda cup coral: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...475&pcatid=475

Does it still show any polyp extension? The pic doesn't show the white too much, but if it's bleaching like an SPS or the skin is receding to show the white skeleton, maybe you can frag it? But be sure to identify it first so you can look into how to frag it correctly.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:58 PM
Reefer Ratings: (2 (100%)
Friends: (1)
Send a Private Message
tested today

temp usually around 79 80 but have ben getting spikes as high as 82.3
salinity .026
dkh 8- 8.5
cal 420
mg 1240-1280
no2 0
no3 0
nh3 0
ph 8.2 (edited probe out of calibration)

have an mtc procal that is pretty new (set up past 3- 4 weeks)
effluent rate is about 35 ml per min
and bubble count is 1 bubbles every 3 seconds

Last edited by Joeb; 06-20-2013 at 06:34 PM..

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/lps/148633-please-help-me-restore-salvage-my-friends-coral.html
Posted By For Type Date
question about this piece (sorry i dont know names) - Reefs.com This thread Refback 10-04-2013 12:03 AM