Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2013, 06:31 PM
Reefer Ratings: (14 (100%)
Friends: (2)
Send a Private Message
Successful Gonipora owners

So ive always apreciated this coral, but always feared they would not last in my tank as many experience( mostly Green variety). Ive researched on some sites and found the red/ purple variety are tougher and there are many that claim have kept those corals for a long time(3+years)
I came across a very nice piece of the red species and couldnt resist. Ive placed it on a spot with good flow, good lighting and have also bought a product that seems to help with their nutrition, TLF's "Gonipower".
I love the coral as it has insane red coloration, and wanted to hear from others that kep the red/ purple variation and their experiences/ tips for success with it.
Here is a pic of mine

Thanks
Old 06-23-2013, 07:35 PM
Reefer Ratings: (6 (100%)
Send a Private Message
Ive had mine for maybe 6 7 months its red with gold eyes , very nice piece always open and happy and never directly feed anything , on the bottom if my tank 12 inches under 4 24inch t5ho bulbs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Reefs
Old 06-23-2013, 08:25 PM
Reefer Ratings: (23 (100%)
Friends: (12)
Send a Private Message
I have a green branching goniopora and it never fully opened like it was in the store. I had it placed high mid and low. Good flow and had 4 bulb t5 lighting. I now have it in the sand in a good flow area in my LEDs and still no improvement. This is the one coral I didn't research before buying and I feel bad that it's not doing good.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:12 PM
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyP View Post
I have a green branching goniopora and it never fully opened like it was in the store. I had it placed high mid and low. Good flow and had 4 bulb t5 lighting. I now have it in the sand in a good flow area in my LEDs and still no improvement. This is the one coral I didn't research before buying and I feel bad that it's not doing good.
I hear you, that is such a nice coral, ive also had the green branching in the past, and it lasted maybe 5 months until its health declined. It was open and doing really well, and one day didnt open as much and slowly died. At the same time all other corals were splitting and flourishing so i know it was not the tank.
I have read many times to avoid the green type, and get purple or red, because they are tougher. Their needs are quite unknown, but some say feeding zoo/phytoplancton provides the nutrition needs.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:02 PM
Reefer Ratings: (63 (100%)
Friends: (45)
Send a Private Message
my girlfriend has a green goni and its like one of her first corals its so big and fat and shes had it for about a year now if im correct healthy as can bee under LED's bright as heck.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:49 AM
Reefer Ratings: (13 (100%)
Friends: (3)
Send a Private Message
I have a large red and a large purple Gonipora. They are both thriving. They've been in my tank for almost a year. I feed Reef Snow, and Coral Amino each twice a week on different days. So far, so good.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:57 PM
Reefer Ratings: (1 (100%)
Friends: (1)
Send a Private Message
I have been keeping goinioporas for many years. Here are some growth pictures from some small colonies that started as frags...

And here they are about 6 months later. Theyre even bigger now Ive had to move them...

Old 07-10-2013, 01:51 PM
Reefer Ratings: (2 (100%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZephNYC View Post
I have been keeping goinioporas for many years. Here are some growth pictures from some small colonies that started as frags...

Hey I just got a frag that looks very similar:

How have you been keeping yours with regards to light/flow/placement? Have you been feeding them?
Old 07-11-2013, 04:39 PM
Reefer Ratings: (0 (0%)
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
Wow Carlos that red goniopora color up really fast and those color are amazing!! Good job!
Old 07-15-2013, 06:08 PM
Send a Private Message
Lol, thanks Ron! I told you it changed completely!