jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
My acans have their 24/7. They get fed a few times per week with ROE and Reef Roids, and they get indirect feedings from frozen fish foods daily. They still look cool but you don't see the colors as much when they're extended.

Anyone else experience this? Any info is appreciated.

Here's a pic of some of them

IMG_8443 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Duke, that actually makes sense :) I'll try spacing them more.

jerl, I feed a lot. I'm talking 3 cubes of mysis, a portion of about a cube size or reef frenzy, spriulina flakes, and algae pellets daily (and corals foods at night). I have spot fed the acans daily for a while thinking they were underfed, but the feeders came out just after the food was consumed. I have seen quite a few reefs not feed nearly as much as me with normal looking acans. I'm kind of thinking feeding is not the issue here. Too bad I wasn't running LED, I would just blame them ;) LOL

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I have 6 different variations of acans and they do that when I leave the lights on too long AND are feeding off of the smallest possible amount of nutrients in the water. I bought 4 different types back in November and glued them to the same rock and now I've got total 20+ heads on that rock.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Interesting tidbit of info bioman, thanks. Ok so you and jerl think I need to feed them more. I'm going to space them and start target feeding again. Any food in particular that you guys suggest?

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I don't agree on spacing them out since I'm trying to fill a rock with 4 different color types I do recommend target feeding them 1 piece of PE Mysis each every few days. For those reading this column that don't know PE Mysis contains around 90%+/- protein and all the rest is less than 10% do you have a Julians Thing?

Rob&Gab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
keep them there. i dont see a need to space them out ive seen people with rocks covered in them all different colors. People try to graft them by putting 2 colors near each other. its a good thing your feeders are out. Dont dirty up your water allot just cause there feeders are out. Dont forget its just like a fish they will eat and eat and eat. at least from what people have told me. I would target feed them with your regular feeding schedule.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Bioman, I only feed PE mysis, 3 sometimes 4 cubes per day :) I don't have julians think but I do have a long turkey baster. I'll make sure they get some daily. I've done this before but I'll try it again.

Moneymaks, I never tried those pellets before. Maybe in desperation i'll give them a shot.

Thanks Bugg, i'll keep that in mind

Rob, I bought one head from Coral Theory last year. They have grown quite a bit since then.

oh207

Advanced Reefer
Apex Freak
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Thats cool how their feeders are out all the time. But I can see how it could be unwanted because their colors aren't showing.
Maybe this is like a greedy strain? lol
Seriously now, with the continuous feeding are you experiencing rapid growth or growth that is above average?

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
The acans that you see picture were all started with 1 or 2 polyps last winter. I'm not sure if that is fast or average growth, but they grow :).

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: