Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I do know that Angels and LPS do not mix, however this is a very interesting topic and particularly regarding large Angels like French, Queen, Blueface, Regal, etc. I kept swallowtail angel in my tank and know they are 100% reef safe, also I kept flame angel in my tank with LPS, Gorgonian, Zoa, Recordeas other mushrooms and they were OK. I seen many tank pictures where large Angels kept in the tank with SPS. This razed a question - Does anyone have good experience of keeping LPS and large angels???

Long-Island-Mike

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I keep a Regal Angle with some SPS and LPS with no problems. He is a model citizen
IMG_0009_2_zpsd1a7a48b.jpg

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
I've seen angels kept with sps, lps in harmony. It's a 50/50 chance that they will nip on lps and sps corals. I had a flame that nipped on my Lobo and zoas...

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
I have a Regal and an Emperor. It's hit or miss with softies and LPS. They eat some and leave others alone so I'm still able to keep some large zoa,palys and some LPS colonies. Acans, clams, Brains, scolys and Xenia are on the menu, but they don't touch any Euphyilla corals or SPS.

crox99

Audi Sport
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
My Emperor like only red zoas and doesn't touch any other ones however he went after an acanthophillia the second I put it in my tank. He never touched any of my hammers/torches and clam. On the other hand my bluface doesn't go after any of the corals.....

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
No matter what anyone reads or says everyone and every fish and every aquarium are different. It 100% comes down to a case by case thing. For instnace every book,every person will swear that a freshwater neon tetra is a community fish,correct? I personally agree myself but there are always exceptions and I personally witnessed a neon tetra stress out and ultimately kill a 5" Oscar. Since then nobody can tell me that they know what a fish will or won't do.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
With all the Angels there is a risk that they'll eat something, it may not be today or tomorrow, or even a month for now, but the chances that it will happen at some point are pretty much 100%. The question is if you put one in your tank can you live with it possibly eating one of your coral and if need be, can you get it out.

jvu61

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a coral rock beauty not a large angel but an angel non the less. never a problem. I keep them well fed and as happy as I can. In the end each fish has his or her own personality and may be good for many years and then turn. For now mine is a good one hope it stays that way

Reef lover24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
I was stubborn and tried a juvi emperor angel and needless to say he destroyed all my lps and I even caught him nipping on my rose bubble anenomes.. Had to tear apart the tank to get him out. Itching to try my luck again though.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I thank everyone for responding, I guess it's my call now "Do I want to risk my corals and If I will how soon if at all I will be able to catch and take out the offender".
I am tempted because I have chance to catch French and on occasions Queen Angels when I do my diving in Florida. Maybe if I catch a junior fish train and keep him on frozen food... . Almost like Hamlet 2 B or not 2B. The problem is I have a lot of rock and caves in my tank, also my tank is 30" deep and elevated. So in order to do any maintenance I need to clime a 4 foot step ladder. Guess I am more close to make a decision for NOT 2 B. Again thanks to everyone who responded.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: