theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Curious who's had luck with what type coral, with which type angel. Most say, for good reason, that most large angels aren't reef safe. While in some cases a supposed reef safe tang does more damage.
So what coral? and which angel do you have that's breaking the rules?

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
I had an Emeperor, a Regal and currently a Majestic ... all were hit or miss with LPS and softies. I use an acclimation tank for a number of reasons. First to get them eating well and getting fully acclimated to the DT water chemistry also I would place frags of different corals in to see what they prefer to eat.... of course as they mature sometimes their tastes will change, but by using this method and feeding heavily I'm still able to keep large colonies of Zoas and LPS. I do notice that none touch any Euphyllia species, but all did eat polyps like cloves and Xenia. A lot of the larger polyps LPS like Acans, open brains and clams are on the menu too...

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Hey Mike, we're practically neighbors. I live in central Valley Stream. Out of the 3 angels, which would you say was best and worst. I have a powder brown tang that messes with stuff more than my majestic. Never saw the majestic touching anything. Oh except for green star polyps for some reason. The moorish idol picks but think it's picking near, not on corals, because there's no noticeable damage. Have xenia, mushrooms, anemones, hammers, toadstools zoas, monties, and a bit of sps without issue. Acans don't seem to do well, but never see them getting touched, but sometimes find them moved around.
Would love to get a queen, guess i'm looking to hear of some success. Can deal with not having some types of coral, or a bit of picking here and there, just don't want disaster.
You go into franklin pet center?

Last edited:

Z06-Hec

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
i have and adult blue face angel and an adult Majestic angel...
I have all types of hammers, frogs, torches, mushrooms, carpet net, bubble nems, some sps, Nepthea, elegance coral, Lobo, plate coral, and a few other things here and there...
My angels will pick at certain things here and there but what i learned is keep them well fed and they will leave your corals alone for the most part.
For instance, I have blast that i have had for over a year with no issue until 1 day my auto feeder got clogged while i was at work... Well they went on on my 2 small blast colonies...
I have had this happen to a red lobo also but they never ever touch my green lobo, not sure if the color has anything to do with it. My plate gets nipped on rarely but again, it depends on food in the tank. Blasto and plate still thriving and other corals are fine.
I have also been told to be careful as angels can tear up a carpet nem as well.. Never seen that happen here...
Keep them fed and thats all i do..
I have had my angels for about 3 years now always with corals. At some point i even had giant clams and they never touched them... In fact it was my powder blue that destroyed my Goni and I saw it nipping my clam as well... Off she went...

Z06-Hec

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
150 Gallon
6 foot across
just so you know how crowded it is in my tank..
Blue face Angel
Majestic Angel
Large Purple tang
medium yellow tang
small hippo tang - growing fast
3 clowns - 2 paired on one side and the other lonely on the other side
1 adult mellanarus wrasse
1 small yellow wrasse
1 small 6 line wrasse
1 yellow watchman gobie
1 blue chromic loner.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
150 Gallon
6 foot across
just so you know how crowded it is in my tank..
Blue face Angel
Majestic Angel
Large Purple tang
medium yellow tang
small hippo tang - growing fast
3 clowns - 2 paired on one side and the other lonely on the other side
1 adult mellanarus wrasse
1 small yellow wrasse
1 small 6 line wrasse
1 yellow watchman gobie
1 blue chromic loner.
Thanx, sound like a nice set up.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
copps on reef central would be the person to answer your questions or just google him
Thank you. He is definitely the guy to ask. He's like the trend setter on that idea. Didn't know who you meant till i read a few of his posts. Yeah, have learned a bunch from him over the years. On this topic, qt, and otherwise. Thanx again

Last edited:

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
I'm on the north side of Hempstead Turnpike. I got the idea to try a large Angel in my reef when I met and listened to John's (Copps) presentation at a LIRA meeting a few years ago. I also have a few Butterflies in my reef as well. The heavy feedings I believe definitely helps....

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I got a Emperor Angel, the smallest Ive ever seen (maybe a quarter or nickel!) and he's now a 5" teenager and doesn't touch a single LPS, Zoa, xenia etc his whole life. so far lol, I think its keeping him fed and around them so long, he's domesticated!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: