Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Reef Database Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2018, 10:18 PM
Reefer Ratings: (2 (100%)
Friends: (2)
Send a Private Message
Question Rainbow Trachyphyllia showing some skeleton after removing cyano :(

Hi,

I've had this Rainbow Trachy for a few years now. The spot in the back right has been known to grow a bit of cyano and I brush it off from time to time. I brushed it off today and saw some skeleton underneath it. Any advice on what I should do? Should I try grinding it down with my dremel? Should I brush the bit of Green Hair that is left behind this time, or should I just leave it be?

Thanks in advance.

I apologize if this question is in the wrong forum. I'm not really sure what trachy's are classified as, SPS, LPS, etc etc... certainly not a soft coral. That's for sure. LPS is my best guess.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:01 AM
Reefer Ratings: (41 (100%)
Friends: (5)
Send a Private Message
I would just leave it for now. If it gets worse you can put it in a low flow low light area but i definitely wouldn't take a dremel to it.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:16 AM
The All Powerful OZ
Moderator: This member is a Moderator. - Issue reason: Moderator badge 
Reefer Ratings: (52 (98%)
Friends: (43)
Send a Private Message
I would remove the hair algae, if possible by hand or gently with a tooth brush. You may lose that area where the skeleton is showing but the rest should be fine. I would try to feed it.

The Light at the end of the Tunnel has Been turned off due to Budget Cuts.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.

It is far easier to fool people than to show them that they've been fooled.