texman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it really necessary to feed LPS corals if they have adequate light exposure? I used to try to feed some of my scolymia, etc, however now I have a golden dwarf moray in addition to my 12" vlamingi tang(would make a nice dinner for 2) and other voracious eaters. If I even lower my tongs into the tank (even without food on them), the eel instantly bolts out and attacks them and whatever is being held by them. No large pieces of shrimp, etc even have a chance of getting close to their intended coral. If I am lucky to divert the eel's attention, he finds any pieces of meat, even half ingested by the corals, and goes to town digging for them. I am hesitant about even trying to feed the corals for fear of the eel and the vlamingi damaging them while extracting the food. The corals all seem to do fine without being fed anyway.

Carpentersreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think that a blender version of meaty foods would benefit the LPS.

Some of the tiny fragments would get caught up in the slime that the LPS produces.
I had the same problem in my tank. I now feed my Niger Trigger large pieces of meat and being that he's such a messy eater, the remnants wind up on the LPS.

Mitch

DK

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed the fish and everything else will get fed - either directly with small peices escaping into the water column or after the first go round through the fish (or eel's) digestive system.

esmithiii

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LPS (Euphylia paradivisa and a Favites species) seem to do well inspite of long periods between feedings. The show explosive growth when they are fed regularly.

Ernie

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: