A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jeweldamsel":2fzntesm said:
Can I keep LPS coral and angelfish together? Does anyone have any experience with them?
\

My coral beauty attacked just about everything. I didn't have any LPS i think but polyps and xenia were attacked.

So I removed it.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of angel? Usually when this comes up it is a dwarf like a flame or Potters, and in those cases it comes down to the individuals. In other words, it is a risk but you won't know without trying.

My Potters doesn't bother anything including my frogspawn. But again, another Potters may be turn out to be the flesh-nipper from hell, like Beaslbob's CB.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion it's an individual fish thing. I've have a Coral Beauty and a Flame in my reef for years and they've been model citizens. I've heard the odds of a Pygmy Angel nipping Clams or LPS is about 50/50. I can believe that.

If you're talking about Angels other than Pygmies then all bets are off.

Oceans Ferevh

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a flame angel who did great until I went on vacation. It wasn't getting it's food at the scheduled time and started nipping my xenias. I try to keep him at bay by feeding a little bit three times a day to satisfy it. It seems to help. I'm just glad it dousn't bother anything else in the tank!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Centropyge argi, or C. acanthops or aurantonota, are your best bets. Least likely to nip at an LPS coral.

Genicanthus spp. are safe too but I don't know how big of a tank we're talking here.

Open brains are pretty much irresistible to any pygmy angel IME though.

yellowfiji

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Yellowpeel, a Coral Beauty, a Flame, and a Pygmy in my old 55 gal. I am setting up a new 210gal reef tank. Can I keep my dwarf angelfish and some LPS coral together?

Tackett

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it really depends. Do a search for this subject, and youll get a few suggestions of pygmies that usually do well. But its always hit or miss.

wstellwagen

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look at this mos AA you see that terry keeps a variety of fish in his reef I asked him about this and his response was somewhat encouraging.
I for one am rethinking my penchant not to keep angels and triggers in a reef

Walt

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well with that many of them, chances are at least one will be a nipper. If you can't resist trying, I would stick with "wavy" LPS like euphylias and avoid the "blobby" ones like open brains. I wouldn't risk a clam, either.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what kind of "LPS" you're talking about.
I've kept P. imperator with Euphylia species with no problems.
I've kept C. argi with everthing. C. argi and C. acanthops are the most reliably safe angels.

wall2.jpg

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jim - I just fell in love with the fish in the center of your pic - is that a wrasse? Which one?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6-line, one of my favorite, but also one of the more agressive of the diminutive wrasses.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep.
I've had that particular one for 3 years or so. He's a cool fish, the only thing that bugs me about him is that he harrases the orchid dottyback and keeps him trapped in a hole about 80 percent of the time.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suite. 8)

Hard to believe I haven't really noticed them before. Other pics I've seen of 6-lines aren't nearly that colorful.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: