Xposeidon

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, currently i'm setting up my new 3ft tank. The height of the tank is 2.5ft. I intend to use 6 x PC light and 2 x FL light for my reef system. I'm planing to keep LPS. So is my light sufficient for my system? I don intend to get a MH coz i don have a chiller at the moment. However i install a 3 x PC fan on the hood and 1 x clip-on fan on the sump, maintaining my temp to 27 - 28deg.

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LPS can certainly be kept under PCs, but in your case, since the tank is so deep, you might have to keep many of your corals in the upper portions of the tank.

Personally, I would not use PCs on a tank that deep. I'd prefer a minimum of 2 X 150 watt DE halides in good reflectors or possibly 2 X 250s depending on ballast/lamp choices. If the tank has no center brace, you could possibly use one 250 watt halide mounted high enough up to get the spread you need.

Using halides does not necessarily mean you'll need a chiller. In fact, in many cases (and I think this one is a perfect example) you can get better irradiance levels with less wattage using halides so in effect you could potentially have less of an overheating issue.

JMO...

Xposeidon

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ChrisRD":4gi162n1 said:
LPS can certainly be kept under PCs, but in your case, since the tank is so deep, you might have to keep many of your corals in the upper portions of the tank.

Personally, I would not use PCs on a tank that deep. I'd prefer a minimum of 2 X 150 watt DE halides in good reflectors or possibly 2 X 250s depending on ballast/lamp choices. If the tank has no center brace, you could possibly use one 250 watt halide mounted high enough up to get the spread you need.

Using halides does not necessarily mean you'll need a chiller. In fact, in many cases (and I think this one is a perfect example) you can get better irradiance levels with less wattage using halides so in effect you could potentially have less of an overheating issue.

JMO...

Hi, thanks i'm getting a 150wtt Metal Halide. So how often i need to ON it 'whats the duraton like' maybe you can give an opinion.

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 hours a day works well IME. There's no hard and fast rule, but something around there is what most people do for a halide-only setup.

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my MH system runs from 3:15 to about 10:45. Seems to be a good photoperiod for me... and I believe that it helps inhibit algae growth.

B

Xposeidon

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys for sharing. Anyway how long i need to run my 'actinic light' does i need to ON it only at night?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your actinics will help to improve the color of the coral, even when you have your halides on (they can make the colors "pop" out a bit more), particularly if your halide bulbs are the type best suited to good coral growth (6500K or 10000K), rather than the bluer bulbs, which are great for coloration, but worse for growth (14000K or 20000K). Most people have their actinics turn on an hour before the halides and turn off an hour afterwards.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not run your Actinics all night. Most photosynthetic corals require a daily rest period.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: