akma

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
I need to find a new way to feed my acans and chalices. I turn off the pump and place the food on top of the corals but out of 10 I can only get a few in the mouth.

Are you guys using straws or tubes of some sort to feed your lps???

Hard to feed my guys with my freaking shrimp going after the food as well.

akma

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
My shrimp are total fata**. They keep eating and eating and eating. Today I tried feeding them flake while i was feeding my lps and they took a few bites then tried to come over the LPS before I flicked them away. They are high class shrimp.

rickytsui

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
u can also try to use the chinese soup container and cover the coral with it . i have try many way and those 2 way is the best so far but i had red bug in my tank at one piont and i just kill all the shrimp =) now i dont have to do it anymore =)

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Aside from the excellent suggestion of feeding your piggy shrimp first, some folks cut the top 4 or 5 inches off a 2 litre sode bottle, hot glue some marbles or rocks onto it to weigh it down (it will float otherwise) and use it as a 'dome' over the coral you want to feed, by dropping the food through the cap opening..or gently squirt it in there with a baster or pipette - right at the corals.
Corals get to eat in peace and the shrimp/fish can't steal it. :)
If placement is tight a smaller bottle top works well too.

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
I keep things simple. I take my frozen food and thaw it into 1 cup of salt water. And since doing this for a while, I can even add flake food to this mix. I mix this up and use a turkey baster and feed each coral individually.

If you are worried about someone stealing the food, what I do, is mix the order of who gets fed first. In addition, you can just use the first squirt on one side of the tank, and let everyone go there and then go everywhere else.

It is not a problem, if you think food is getting stolen. Enough of the food will go where needed.

You will find, that some food, is more favored than others. My favorite coral foods are copepods, coral frenzy, mysis, etc.

I also turn all pumps off during the feeding.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: