basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
I have brown with blue center colony for about 5 years, and light blue for 3 years and a green for about a year and another green one a couple weeks. My colonies don't seem to grow but that's ok with me becuase I like them the way they are. But my green ones are not doing well. My new one had 5 heads and I am now down to 2. My older one loses a head every once and a while and just lost 2 in the past week. What is different about the green ones that make it harder for me to keep?

pauliwalnuts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Wow. Green coral, no matter what type, are usually that hardiest of them all. Some thing is going on with your water
The only reason the other ones seem to be doing better, is because they've been slowly acclimating to whatever issue you're having.

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
I have a 24 gallon Aquapod with a glass top and 96w of T5, half actinics and half daylight. Lights on 8 hours full and 2 hours just actinics. I replace 1 gallon a week and I have a hang-on skimmer. If I see any algae problems I do more changes. I started with a 10 gallon tank and changed to this one about 2 years ago. Still have one of my first fish, a spotted cardinal.
Amonia, nitrates 0, nitrates .2. Calcium is about 500.
One green one is in the botom third of the tank and the other about mid tank.
I don't add anything except food. I feed corals once a week, silversides. The candycanes rarely have their tentacles out so they really don't eat, at least not as well as my acans. My problem with green candycanes has been going on for years. I have tried many times and thet usually are gone in 6-9 months.

Last edited:

marki24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.1%
116   1   0
Please post pictures of tank. From my recollection from previous pictures I noticed that you had algae built up, usually a sign of nitrates and phosphates in tank. When I have nitrates and phosphates in my tank that is what happened to my candy cane.

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
Phosphates are difficult to test for. Even when low it is just because it gets used up by what is in the tank. My algae situation is actually very good. I have one small clump of hair algae. It has been months since I had any significant amount of it. I don't have to clean my glass that often either. I also have a small clump of chaeto.
What is strange about this to me is that only my green ones get affected. I guess they are more sensitive.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: