fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I have a 19 head Frogspawn thats receding. I keep having problems with this brown jelly crap. I know its a bacteria that gets under the flesh of the coral and they just die. Its has happened to 2 frogspawns, wall hammer, duncans, blasto frag and a torch, in the past year and a half. I dont know what is causing this. The corals seem to do fine for a couple of months and then just recede and die. Is there anything I can do to help the froggy? My params are: Ph 8.2, Alk 9dkh, SG 1.025, Calc 430, Mag 1460, 0 Ammonia and trites, and Trates are 20 ( down from 40). My equipment is listed in my sig. Any advice would help. TIA

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
You can do a fresh water dip, just make sure the temp & PH is adjusted to your tank.

I've seen brown jelly diseases with Frogspawn, Hammers & Torches but not with Duncan or Blasto, so the cause can be your nitrates, which at 40 is pretty high. Frogspawn, Hammer & Torches can be one of the first corals to show signs when water quality is off.

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Thanx for the reply. I was just wondering how I can get the ph of RO/Di water to 8.4. Is there something you recommend? Im kinda scared to mess with it cause I dont want to stress it out. I was thinkin of doin a Lugols dip tho for like 15 mins. What do you think?

bigdog1428

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 88.1%
59   8   0
Are the heads fAllin off or is it something else ,, I have a issue with my frogspawn and my heads are literally popping off

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

bizarrecorals

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is hard saving a receding euphylias species, freshwater dip and lugols may help, it'll be a miracle saving the whole conlony, maybe a few head.

alot of the time the problem is not caused by you, maybe the place you purchased it from.

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
is hard saving a receding euphylias species, freshwater dip and lugols may help, it'll be a miracle saving the whole conlony, maybe a few head.

alot of the time the problem is not caused by you, maybe the place you purchased it from.
I got the colony from a member on here and it was extremly healthy. The only thing im thinkin is it went from a Zeofit system into my simple reef. Do you think its dying cause it dosent have the nutrient free enviroment that it came out of?

Turbovr3six

HighTideCoral.com
Vendor
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I got the colony from a member on here and it was extremly healthy. The only thing im thinkin is it went from a Zeofit system into my simple reef. Do you think its dying cause it dosent have the nutrient free enviroment that it came out of?
A sudden change in parameters will make the coral stress out and let it be more prone to disease. If I were in your situation, I would: place coral in 5G bucket(or whatever) and use a turkey baster to blow off as much slime as possible. after that, Do a heavy dip in Lugol's for about 5 -10 minutes with a tiny powerhead(or just keep moving the water around). Then place in QT with a little Lugol's and a cowry snail. I've heard that the Cowry will eat the slime(hit or miss though).

If the slime continues to spread, cut off the healthy heads before it spreads to them as well. HTH and good luck!!

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Thanx man. Ive been resisting a lugols dip cause I really havent done it b4. I tried it on a small 3 head duncan that I had about a year ago and it didnt work out that well. This is a huge colony that I would hate to lose. I guess I'll try the dip and hope for the best.

Turbovr3six

HighTideCoral.com
Vendor
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Don't dose too much though, That stuff is wicked! By heavy dose I meant like 9 drops and while in QT maybe only 2. It wouldn't hurt to get an Iodine test kit before you do it, just so you know if your overdosing.

Good luck!

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
The problem is I dont have a QT. I know everyone says I should have one but I never understood how to set one up and keep it up with nothing in it. My wife woulkd probably kill me if I setup another tank. I was thinkin of dippin and putting in back in its spot.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
You don't need to QT your corals, only dip them for pests when you get them. You can do this in a small container, pail or bucket. Also once the frogspawn, hammer, or Torch head start to turn into jelly there isn't anything you can do but to remove the head, by breaking it off the stalk. At that point if it's Brown Jelly Disease you should give the colony a fresh water dip.

Turbovr3six

HighTideCoral.com
Vendor
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
A little 10G with a heater, small powerhead, and light would be perfect. IMO a QT tank is a "MUST HAVE" for any reefkeeper. :)

As far as the wifey goes, the tank doesn't need to be set up permanently; only when adding new corals or fish. A fish QT tank would most likely be used for copper so if that's the case you should not use the copper tank for any coral QT tank.

FWIW my QT tanks consist of:
55G for fish QT with a heater, air stone, PVC piping, and K4... No light, only ambient light from room.

Coral QT tank is 10G with 2x K-nano's, heater, and a little PC light.

Both QT tank are barebottom with no LR. I do a WC on my display tank and use the "old" water to fill the QT tanks to ensure the parameters are the same. Once in QT I just test often to make sure everything stays as stable as possible, and inspect often for diseases/pests.

HTH

Turbovr3six

HighTideCoral.com
Vendor
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Yea the weather is nice now, but the summers are horrible! STAY AWAY! Horrible food, a Nazi Sheriff, overly sensitive people that don't understand humor, and nothing but dirt and rocks!(PHX) Arizona is by far the most boring state I've ever been to! I cant wait to get back!

But anyway GL with the Frogspawn and keep us updated! :)

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: