TheSherm

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Picked up an Aussie Elegance about a month ago. Opened right up, took food, looked great for a little over three weeks. Last Friday it did not fully open (Merry Christmas). Every day since then it has looked worse and worse. Last night i noticed the tips were white, which from what i have read seems to be dying tissue. I also noticed two flatworms on the corals undercarriage. In my limited experience, where there are 2 flatworms, there are 20. What is the best course of action? Dip? Freshwater? Flatworm exit? Some type of coral revive?

Some details: 40 breeder mixed reef up and running for three years. Corals include mostly zoas, some duncans, acans, frogspawn, a couple acros, digis and montis and the elegance. Only fish in tank are six line, watchman and firefish.

20% water change done three days ago.

Water was tested two days ago. Parameters were great (except Alk sitting at 6-7) which lead me to believe the flatworms could be the culprit.

Anyone have any thoughts?

TheSherm

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Elegance.JPG

batt600

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
27   3   0
Got Tek 6 bulb T5, bulbs replaced Dec 1. Elegance is on the sand bed, no direct flow on it.

Flow has nothing to do with it . I have a elegance and have alot of flow in my tank and it love the flow and alot of light over it to . Alot of people will tell you thay like little to no flow and low light . That all false . I had my elegance when it was only 2inch now a year later and its 15inch . Somthing has to be picking at it find what it is and get it out of the tank.

Jzhou

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I'm thinkin it might be starving from having too little light. A lot of the newer elegances that are being collected are compared to gonioporas. The once fool proof coral has turned into something like jekyl and hyde. Its open and happy one day and the next it crashes for no reason. Just waiting on your pictures now.

batt600

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
27   3   0
I'm thinkin it might be starving from having too little light. A lot of the newer elegances that are being collected are compared to gonioporas. The once fool proof coral has turned into something like jekyl and hyde. Its open and happy one day and the next it crashes for no reason. Just waiting on your pictures now.

His pic is up

TheSherm

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
The pic expands when i click it, im not going to get a better pic than that, using my phone. It is closed and the once beautiful purple tips are now a mushy white substance.

TheSherm

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Not surprised with the misrepresentation, I was satisfied with the price regardless, more concerned with getting it back to good health. Moved it up in tank for some more light. We'll see....

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Not surprised with the misrepresentation, I was satisfied with the price regardless, more concerned with getting it back to good health. Moved it up in tank for some more light. We'll see....

Happy to read that you took it off of the sand.;) I agree with LIA, I don't believe it is an Aussie.:(
The satisfaction with the price is the least of the issue with an elegance. Why an Aussie Elegance over others has got to do with the survival/hardiness. Quite unscrupulous vendors out there now this, and know that those who know better will only purchase Aussie Elegance so they will lie to get peeps to purchase what they have.:(

Will your elegance survivor? I don't know, the pic is extremely hard to see what it is much less it's condition.
Since you got it off of the sand you are heading in the right direction. My Aussie elegance has been on the rocks bottom to middle of the tank under 250 watt MH approximately 26" from the light source, with good flow. Not direct flow, but good flow.;) I feed mysis, cyclopeeze, rod's food, oyster feast, roti feast, topiko (tini sushi eggs)eggs, all soaked in VitaChem, Selcon, Garlic Extreme, and Vitamin C.
I've had my elegance about 3 or 4 years, purchased from another reefer who had it for a little over a year.;)

Wishing you all the best with your's!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: