Vwcrakerjack

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I've been out of the hobby a while. I've never used or had any type of filter socks. I'm wondering what exactly it's purpose is? I was going fill it up with some esv carbon but I've been reading and seems a lot of people change them out quite often. That raises another question do I have to keep a pile of these in hand and change them all the time or can they just be rinsed off and re used?

Z06-Hec

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
the filter the water.. My sump has 2 openings for socks, i have about 8 pair. When they are dirty the water doesn't flow through anymore because the pores are clogged and the water flows over. Then I change them to a clean set.
Once i am on my last set i have the rest washed in the washer with a cap full of bleach on a long cleaning cycle. once finished let them air dry and start the cycle again.
So my water goes through my socks first before hitting the skimmer chamber then my return.

Mark...

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If you change them properly they remove organics which reduces nitrate and phosphate. They Protect your pumps from sand and debris, and polish your water. My tank has no dandruff. But I am biased...:)

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Best way to use them is to change them out every two or three days. Also, I turn them inside out and wash them in my washer with hot water and a cup of bleach. Let them air dry. They are great because they catch all of the organics and sediment before they can break down or settle out in your sump. They actually help increase the life of your pumps because sand and moving parts do not mix...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: