rich

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I know a lot of the other boroughs and long island and nj have a meeting. Do we only have the frag swap in nyc once a year or are there other events that are dont in manhattan. TIA

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
We use to the have smaller gathering in NYC which weren't as heavily involved in buying and selling, which is a big point for a lot of members, so they kind a faded away. I think the plan is to go back to having two swap a year, but finding a location is an issue at the moment.

I think an idea would be to meet some of the members at one of the LFS in and around the area.

rich

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
that sounds good. It could be a low key swap. it is too bad we couldnt even get a big vender to come quarterly so wouldtn even have to be many venders.

Lee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
MANY years ago (early 90's) I was a member of a reefer club that held meetings at the Baltimore Aquarium after closing time. They had a lecture hall where we would meet and sometimes had guest speakers. After the meeting ended we were allowed to go "behind-the-scenes" and into the back area of all of the tanks. I remember interacting with a giant pacific octopus that used to come to the surface of the tank to say "hi" (probably looking for food). Perhaps a college/university/zoo here in NY would be interested in hosting some "club" meetings?

Cr@sh

The Crystal ball Knows ?
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I remember and belonged to the Brooklyn aquarium society years ago. After sandy, I'm sure They have a new conference or assembly room they can let us use. I'd go and inquire but I'm not a good talker ....we need a friend with a connection at the aquarium or someone who can step up on our behalf and negotiate. I can also check into Floyd Bennett field in either the aviator or Ryan Center. They have big rooms in there and I'm good friends with parks department. Just an Idea now that I think about it, I'm going to see what strings need to be pulled at FB for now. If something starts to work I'll get a hold of Josh or Randy!

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I remember and belonged to the Brooklyn aquarium society years ago. After sandy, I'm sure They have a new conference or assembly room they can let us use. I'd go and inquire but I'm not a good talker ....we need a friend with a connection at the aquarium or someone who can step up on our behalf and negotiate. I can also check into Floyd Bennett field in either the aviator or Ryan Center. They have big rooms in there and I'm good friends with parks department. Just an Idea now that I think about it, I'm going to see what strings need to be pulled at FB for now. If something starts to work I'll get a hold of Josh or Randy!

The Brooklyn Aquarium Society is very much alive and they continue to meet in the Education Hall Building each month.
The BAS leans more towards Freshwater than saltwater and they have a rather large membership including many families so the kids - who do attend the meetings - will hopefully enter the hobby going forward. At their monthly auctions they sometimes have donated SW fish and a few corals (any time I've been there the corals have mostly been Kenya trees and such.) Their meetings are on the 2nd Friday night of the month. They do have Todd Gardner speaking at their April 14th meeting. You can check their schedule of events at BASNY.org I know the President of the club quite well.

The only true Saltwater Club anywhere around here is LIRA (Long Island Reef Association) They have a link up there at the top of our page under 'Club'. They have monthly meetings and are an actual club (as in you pay a small fee to join like all of these other clubs that I've mentioned) They hold their meetings in Commack each month. The announce on here who their speakers are each month - so watch for those announcements.

Greater City Aquarium Club is also mainly FW - they meet at the Queens Botanical Gardens monthly except during Jan/Feb as it's too cold to transport fish.

There are 2 other clubs on LI that are also geared toward FW but sometimes have SW geared speakers. They are LIAS (Long Island Aquarium Society) and they meet in Stonybrook on the 2nd Friday of the month, LIASonline.org.
There is again, another mainly FW club in Rockville Centre that meets at Molloy College on the 2nd Tuesday of the month and that is the Nassau County Aquarium Society NCAS.org. Once or twice per year they will have a presentation related to SW.
Both of these last 2 clubs do not meet in July/August.

As a group MR has hosted a few 'true' swaps between members as a couple of different places in Manhattan & Queens. Perhaps we can look into holding another get together in the near future if there is enough interest.

Last edited:

Cr@sh

The Crystal ball Knows ?
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I told Josh and Randy I would look into securing a new venue at the MR swap in dec. I will test the water and see what come available. I know a few big wigs who might pull some string for us.

Cr@sh

The Crystal ball Knows ?
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Been a while since I've participated in any club around reefing ...... thanks for the info and heads up.

Last edited:

Cr@sh

The Crystal ball Knows ?
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
The forum is screwed up again, double post's and cuts me off when comunicating with someone. Can't post pics either? It's getting stupid and I keep hearing it will get fixed. :mad:

Last edited:

rich

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Long as I can get there using public transportation from the city that would be good. If we can't get vendors I agree we could do a real Frank swapping

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: