Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hi all! I'm new to the forum, finding it via going through iPhone apps, lol. Here are pics of my current setups. I started the reef 6 months ago when I saw the LED Edge at the LFS loving the design. Most of the corals (torch, frogspawn, hammer, candy canes, zoas, alveopora, mushrooms) have been in there for about 5 months with a couple of frags going in like a week ago. In addition, there are some snails, hermits, a fire shrimp and a coral banded shrimp in there. Notice there's no fish in it at this point. I had a pair of ocellaris clowns and a red firefish goby in there, but they ended up with ich, which prompted me to do the second fish-only Edge about a month ago. I'm in the middle of the fallow period on the reef now.

The fish only one started as a bare tank for medication purposes, but I hated the look of it and decided to add some sand, rock and coral skeletons that I found in the live rock bin at the lfs. I also took in a friend's percula clown pair, being that he was breaking down his reef tank. I know the sand and rock would complicate medication matters, but so far, so good. Once the fallow period is over, I'll move the ocellaris and back to the reef and leave the rest.

These tanks have been great, only lacking in the lighting department, so I added a couple of free standing Marineland LED fixtures on top. Everything's been flourishing despite the ich outbreak, so hopefully this will be the worst of it, LOL. Anyway, I figured after a few days of lurking, I'd start posting and sharing. I'm looking forward to being part of the community and making some new friends. Let me know what you think.

-Eric

DSC00113.jpg

DSC00109.jpg

Last edited:

stooops718

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Thanks Stoops. Did Fluval come out with a 60 gallon Edge?

Lol.

To the OP, are your lights dimmable. I don't know if it's the pic but your corals are looking a little bleached. Also are your zoas always closed up or was it just this pic? If your zoas stay constantly closed that is sign of too much light as well.

I'd also be careful with those coral skeletons with the FOWLR tank. They tend to be fairly sharp and your clowns could easily get cut from them.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yeah there are currently 4 clowns in there. 2 of which I just took in so it's a little crowded lol. The 2 ocellaris are tiny and hiding because the percs are larger and harass them a bit. I plan on keeping them in there while I have a larger setup cycling.

With regard to the corals, the zoas are typically open, but were closed up as the pic was taken after I was working in the tank and doing a water change. The other corals aren't bleached at all. I think it's the lighting and camera that may be making them look washed out. I used a Sony bloggie to take the stills while taking a lil video.

stooops718

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Yeah there are currently 4 clowns in there. 2 of which I just took in so it's a little crowded lol. The 2 ocellaris are tiny and hiding because the percs are larger and harass them a bit. I plan on keeping them in there while I have a larger setup cycling.

With regard to the corals, the zoas are typically open, but were closed up as the pic was taken after I was working in the tank and doing a water change. The other corals aren't bleached at all. I think it's the lighting and camera that may be making them look washed out. I used a Sony bloggie to take the stills while taking a lil video.

I have a love/hate relationship with my Edge. When it looks good it looks damn good, but what a PITA to work with. Scaping, coral placement, catching fish, scraping the back wall. It's gonna be the death of me.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: