nycfishy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Have a biocube 8 (8 gallon). Been up for 9 months now. Been using RO/DI water only.

Have had lots of algae and cyno growth in my tank so picled up a hanna tester for phosphates. Getting .18 which I think is really high?

Been doing 1 gallon weekly water changes, running carbon and chemi pure elite in media rack.

Can you guys confirm that is a high reading and give me an suggestion son getting it down.
thanks

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a biocube 14 and I would imagine that you have the same 3 chambers in the back.....I run in the middle chamber with an In Tank media basket, floss on the top, chemipure elite and I have chaeto in the bottom which really helps with the nitrates. You may be over feeding or have too heavy a bio load. How many fish and how often do you feed? My phosphates dropped dramatically when I cut down on feeding as well as put in the chaeto.

nycfishy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I've got intank media basket as well, run floss, carbon and chem pure elite.
Tried chaeto in the back with intank underwater fuge light on reverse cycle but my temps were getting too high. Even now I struggle to keep it below 84 (which I know is high).
have 2 fish (small clarki clown and yellow tail damsel) and a peppermint shrimp along with a small cuc.
Used to feel daily but have cut that back to every other day

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I struggle with the temp issue as well. I find that if I leave the small feeder lid open half way I can get my temp below 84. It sounds like you're doing all the right things...any chance the meter is not properly callibrated?

TheSherm

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
If you have algae and are testing at .18, odds are your phosphates are much higher. The temp, flow, lighting bio load and feeding should all be checked. Increase flow, try and bring that temp closer to 80, how many fish in an 8 gallon? one or two? Feed once every other day, half of what your feeding now. Make sure your RO unit is not pumping phosphates in, ive had that happen.

nycfishy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
tested again last night and got .23, did not get a chance to test my ro/di water...will do that tonight.
I know for a fact my temps are on high side from 81 to 84.
with lighting I assume I might be running my lights too long?
Flow is a korilia nano, the hydor thing on the pump return does not turn anymore.
Have started feeding every other day.

Picke dup a used RSM130 that I'll move to but till that's setup want to keep this going and healthy and of course learn what I am doing wrong and not repeat it in the bigger setup.

TheSherm

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
.23 is not ideal, but it isnt offensively high. Good flow, filtration, live rock, and water changes should make that manageable. you shouldnt have hair algae everywhere. how old are your bulbs, i think you def need more flow. I am a big proponent of flow reducing phosphates, because no detrutus can sit around, but you need a good skimmer to suck it up.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I would see if you can get your hands on another tester or test kit. Rule out a faulty reading if you can.

If your ro is coming in that hi how about using store bought pre-mixed water? For the small amount your changing it may be financially worth it to just buy a few gallons a month.

nycfishy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
bulbs are about 9 months old...shoul dI replace them....but that woul dmean more light and more algae?
no skimmer on this tank, it's only an 8 gallon.
dakotakid846- I've investe din an ro/di unit and storage tanks so don;t want to throw that out for the hassle of buying water, plus will be upgrading to a RSM130d soon so will need more water and will still have to deal with this issue.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: