ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
New nano build--ada 60p desktop

Well I've been out officially since January 2011 when I broke down my 100 gallon tank.

What got me back in? A phone call from akma. Well we've kept in touch the past year and a half and every once in a while he would ask me if I were interested and I told him no and that I've moved on to espresso making as a new hobby. Then I went to his house and saw his awesome elos mini and midi and I said to myself I need to get back in.

Thanks for sucking me back in dude.

Seriously though I've been thinking of a desktop tank for a while and
finally I get to have a rimless tank outside of the wall where it belongs.

I thought about getting an all in one and I do like them. However I started thinking about plumbing it in to my 40gallon breeder behind this wall and the added benefit of the additional water volume.

Originally I was going to use the 7.5 gallon deep blue tank that I picked up from akma but today I was at Reef Fixations in South Hackensack and noticed the mr. aqua 11.4 gallon tank.

I purchased a pair of black clowns and started thinking that 7.5 gallon tank is way too small for them so the 7.5 gallon may be started up as a fung shui planted tank if the Mrs. allows me to set it up in the living room.

By the way awesome vendor. Thanks Sonny.

I'm in the planning stages of this build and definitely need the input of this community.

Enough with the diatribe.

Here is a pic: (sorry for the bad iphone pic) but should give you an idea of the space I'm dealing with.

30dfb6ca.jpg

So my questions for now are:

(1) Do I drill this baby and where?

a) Bottom so no pipes showing out the back

b) glass holes overflow

(2) No drilling and go with eshopps nano overflow or lifereef overflow.

I am definitely going to hang the light. Don't like that it is 4" off of the tank top. Plus it will be easier for maintenance to just raise it out of the way.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Last edited:

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
nice little tank you picked up. i like my glass holes overflow, despite being a bit pricey imo. they shipped the product out fast and was packed well unless you have it already then none of that matters

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Thanks.

Haven't ordered one yet. Had one on my last tank. Just debating whether I want to have this drilled.

The nano oveflow is $65 and return kit is $25. So for $90 + the cost of drilling not sure what the rate these days is (if you don't want to do this yourself) say $30/hole would be $60. Together you are looking at $150 to get the tank drilled with overflow and return + cost of plumbing and return pump.

If you buy a lifereef that will run you $119 + $12 for a return nozzle + cost of plumbing and return. So it's a little cheaper but not by much.

Last edited:

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
Welcome back buddy, good luck with the build. If you don't want to spend that much money just drill for a bulkhead and leave out the box. you aren't going to be moving tons of water so you should be okay, let me know if you need that drilled.

dherrera83

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
144   0   0
Drill it! You can borrow my bits. If you want i can help you drill it depending on how far you are locating in NJ. My fee is a frag of zoo's per hole... lol

I have a few pvc pieces you can use that i no longer need (free) or better yet forgot to return.

Let me know if you are interested.

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Thanks guys...This community is the best. We reef addicts need to support each other LOL :)

James: You should try out for Chef Ramsey's show Hell's Kitchen..Only kidding. Hope all is well.

rkaragozler/dherrera83 thanks for the offer: Might take you up on it...

Ole Pukey: Thanks for the tip. Appreciate the response. Guess I'm going to IKEA tonight. You can disregard my pm....Now I see what you mean on how it is adjusted.

Last edited:

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Setback. Tank was drilled but it cracked. Pics to follow. I setup the little cube instead (pics to follow as well). Would like to get a slightly bigger cube 16 x 16 x12 or 18 x 18 x 12 drilled already and with glass holes overflow installed so all I have to do is plumb it.

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
why did the tank crack? I was considering drilling on my 12' 12' 14'H but have tempered glass, i have the eshoppes nano overflow and its nice, but does make a flushing noise, and drilled looks ALOT better on rimless cube nanos imo. I did replace the supplied U- tube with 1/2 hose to delete the air bubble.
IMG_2397.jpg

good call on not goin AIO, if you want to grow anything substantial, your prob going to want more water volume and filtration.

why did the tank crack? I was considering drilling on my 12' 12' 14'H but have tempered glass

looks great, nice build

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Thanks your tank looks awesome as well. Which tank is that?

Not sure why the tank cracked. It is not tempered anywhere. I had it drilled by a vendor here on MR and it was the first tank that broke for this vendor. Needless to say we were both dismayed but he hooked me on some dry goods at cost and offered another tank at a substantial discount.

The only reason I can think of is bad luck or too much pressure on the drill. Who knows.

Could happen to anyone.

I was thinking of buying a life reef overflow box and going over the top like you did. That hob aquaclear is driving me insane but I guess a life reef overflow box would be just as ugly on the back. My issue is that the tank is on the desk and not up against a back wall so I see what is behind the tank.

If I could have done it over again I would have drilled this tank on the bottom but then I would be taking up space in the tank.

Good luck with your tank.

Rating - 100%
97   0   0
Looking good Ernie!!!

I'm glad they hooked u up. Sucks when things go that way but there r worse things in life.

U said that so long as you can carry the tank in by yourself, and so long as if fits on your desk, that your wife won't mind.....

I say, carry in your (light) Acrylic "dream tank" piece by piece and assemble it in place.... judging by the pic, it seems that your desk is fairly large. A few reinforcements and you're good to go! =)

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Thanks Sonny

Great idea except for the fact that I may be carried out piece by piece by my wife LOL

Thanks for the clowns! Awesome live stock

If anyone out there needs to get fish and corals Sonny at reef fixations is the real deal. He is passionate about the hobby and a great person to deal with

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: