• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our saltwater aquarium community?
    JOIN NOW

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
hey guys, looking into possibly getting an anemone in my 10gal. I know its tough so im starting my research before purchasing. Questions are,

1) what type of anemone can be put in a smaller tank (that is still able to host)

2) what choices do I have for colors and what not. I want something with awesome colors

3) Is this a terrible idea lol

If anyone has any good links to threads or sites that would help as well.

Rating - 100%
97   0   0
IMO, many rules can be broken but they usually come at a higher risk.

Bubbletips are easy but if it dies in that small of a tank, you can possibly wipe out your tank. The more affordable ones are green or rose bubbletips. The crazier colored ones that I know of are ultra rainbows, sunburst and Super ultra rainbow bta's but usually cost about $150-$700 depending on which one and where you find it.

I think 10g is too small but I know many people have done it. Some have failed but some have succeeded.

Best of luck on your search.

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
They need intense lighting, and they will move around til they are happy unless you trap it behind some rocks. 10 gallons is really small and I would not recommend putting na anemone in there as mentioned if it dies it can definitely wipe out that whole tank so it's definitely not worth it to risk losing everything in your tank just to get one.

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
im running a 12 inch LED fixture thats only on 30% so Im sure lighting is fine. Maybe I should wait for the upgrade then. the nano is on my desk in my bedroom so there isnt a long period of time where im not monitoring the tank to make sure it died or something.

is there a good place to order a sunburst or something similar? whats the difference between rbta, ritteri, magnificas and so on? just the way they look?

andylee

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I think 10 gallons is too small also. If you are planning to upgrade anyway, I would wait. How old is your tank? What else is in there? Anemones are deceptively hard to keep alive and happy. If there is a powerhead in such a small tank, there's a pretty good chance it's going to get sucked up when it's moving around.

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Getting a BTA or any anemone in the 10g and happy is the easy part, its the removal of it after 4-6 months when it outgrows the tank thats the problem. I had a 5 month old anemone that I got when it was 4-5" that ended up growing to 12+ inches, granted it was a much larger tank but still the same rules apply. So, the main thing you need to realize is that it will grow and cover things in your tank. That perfectly sized anemone will be 2x the size in a month, maybe touching and stinging things.

If your going to go ahead with the anemone make sure you get a foam filter over the MP10 to prevent any tentacles getting sucked in and shopped off.

There are plenty of differences between the different anemones. Out of all the anemones the big problem you will have is finding the right one for the fish you want hosting it. BTA's are easy as most maroons/percs host them easily enough, the others not so much. Each clownfish has its own preferences to anemone hosts. Clownfish just don't host any anemone.

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I just picked up a pair of snow onyx's so i would like to see them host the nem I end up with. i see what your saying about the mp10. what do you mean by foam filler? I was thinking of sticking with a bubble tip as the tentacles arent as long and less reach to sting.

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
update on an old thread, just purchased a rainbow BTA from vendor Kenny of Pieces Of The Ocean in flushing. my 9gal nano is too small so im doing a small upgrade to a deep blue 30gal cube.

Any tips on ensuring safe keeping? its my first nem and im scared of loosing it. I just ordered my test kits for mag, alk, and cal. which I hear are important to test for with nems, and everything else for that matter.

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I could use some help on placement, Should I keep this guy on the other side away from all my other corals as hes expected to move around? I also heard it sometimes helps to have a small rock island with a indentation in it that they might like.

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
rbta.jpg

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
James,

Some advice,

Just do weekly water changes on your system with a good reef salt, 10% should be fine.

Just make sure you match salinity and temp. Everything should be fine and happy.

I would suggest placing the anemone where you woulf like him and cut back your flow (power heads etc) until he attaches to a spot he likes then it's up to him if he wants to move. Don't mess with him if he does, just move everything else.

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
thanks. So keep flow on the lower side untill I see the foot attach to the rock, then amp up the flow? how can I tell when the flow is low enough and then fast enough, by how much everythings swaying around? using mp10wes and again this will be on 30gal frag tank.

also, should i kick up the leds a tad?

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Little update:

My RBTA is doing well. It was looking Lonely from my clowns ignoring it so I got a small sexy shrimp

I picked up a rock nem at the swap. Too sweet to pass up. It's yellow with a striped green and white rim/tentacles. Bad iPhone pic and its still acclimating.

I hope this uploads from my cell

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: