• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our saltwater aquarium community?
    JOIN NOW

stazitto25

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
So my friend Rob, IamRobG on the forum, gave me his Fluval Edge Nano so I decided to give SW a go. I have a few freshwater planted tanks but this is my first SW. I have had the tank up for a month and it seems to have cycled. Any ideas on what kinds of corals I can keep in a nano and especially for a newbie. I am assuming fish should come first incase of an ammonia spike or something of that nature.

Also, I know a nano isn't ideal for a newbie, however i made the commitment and I spend hours with my tanks a day so it will not be neglected. If you don't believe me ask my girlfriend.

Thanks for your Help,

Greg

stazitto25

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Hey guys thanks for the quick reply.

Rkaragozler, your friend has got a great tank, thats something I hope I will be able to share with him in the reasonably near future.

Aqua Pro Builder, I actually do have two Wingo Led lights that my friend was able to keep some soft coral with. I am thinking of raising them off the tank to help in anyway I can with heat in the edge. Since you mentioned it, how hot is too hot?

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
Hey guys thanks for the quick reply.

Rkaragozler, your friend has got a great tank, thats something I hope I will be able to share with him in the reasonably near future.

Aqua Pro Builder, I actually do have two Wingo Led lights that my friend was able to keep some soft coral with. I am thinking of raising them off the tank to help in anyway I can with heat in the edge. Since you mentioned it, how hot is too hot?
LOL, that friend is a she, have fun buddy, and if you need any help we are here for you

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Hi Greg. Welcome to reefing.
Just like you I started off in reefing with a fluval edge.
It's a fun little tank despite its quirks(small opening, crappy stock lights, poor light spread...)
Don't skimp out on lighting with this one. Invest in it from the start to avoid frequent redesigning of lights (like I did spending hours on tweaking it's lighting but it was fun though).
We are here to share our experiences with this little tank.
I have a thread in here as well in the nano tank section with my edge reefing experience.
I shut the tank down though to upgrade to a
12gal rimless.

stazitto25

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
After a few months things are going pretty good with the Edge. The sand is starting to clear up which was pretty green and keeping my cleanup crew rather happy/busy. I also have a few corals in the tank which are all doing well with the exception of my red goniopora. This thing is happy for a day and very sad for three. I haven't figured this coral out yet. My small collection includes a torch, hammer, colony polyp, and red goniopora. My levels are all consistently low and the only algae that I have is some green spot algae that is virtually impossible to get off of the glass. I have a few pictures, which are not professional so please pardon the low resolution of them.

crab_on_top_of_snail_on_top_for_crab.jpg

fire_shrimp_and_shell.jpg

fire_shrimp.jpg

gonipora.jpg

clowns.jpg

NYC Joe

Seahorses yea!
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
looking good.
I too have an edge. It's my office tank.
Had It for quite a while. Time for more pictures.

So far your looking good. I agree with the others. Spend $$ on the light. It'll save you trouble later.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: