Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks, new to the forum and hobby. I thought I'd post some pics for my build and update along the way. Very basic stuff here as I'm just learning everything as I go.

I currently have nutri-seawater and a live sand/live rock set up. I let the tank cycle for about 1 month and the levels were evening out. At that point I added 2 turbo snails and modified the back, removing the false bottoms in chamber 1 and 2. Chamber 1 houses my BioCube skimmer. Chamber 2 houses my inTank media basket containing filter floss, a pouch of charcoal, and some Chaeto. Chamber three houses the stock return pump and my Colbalt 75W heater. I affixed a magnetic light to the back for my Chaeto - JBJ Nano Glo LED refugium light. Stock lighting for the tank itself. I also added a Hydor nano 240 fan for extra water flow.

After adding the Chaeto my nitrates disappeared but I guess that's the point. The snails are thriving and I purchased some shrimp today - 2 cleaners and 1 fire. Copepods (or whatever they are) are all over the place (introduced with the Chaeto I guess).

I've done only 1 water change so far (about 2 weeks ago) and my levels are good. I'm topping off with distilled water. Using and refractometer for salinity and SG.

I'm hoping for some answers to basic questions and for some guidance along the way. I've seen some incredibly amazing tanks on this forum, hats off to everyone. I'm hoping I can build up something remotely close over time.

Gunning for a mixed reef tank - fish, inverts, corals.

Anyway I'm getting too wordy so here's the questions and pics (not much to see so far)

- Are water changes necessary if your levels (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, etc) are steadily zero?

- Any advice on rockscaping? not feeling my setup

- My sand bed has basically become an algae bed (see picks) what the frick do I do about that?

- How long does coralline take to develop? I have some on my snails' shells but it ain't spreading anywhere?.

- Opinions on best testing products out there? Currently using API. What else should I be testing for besides the basics - pH, Amm, NO2, NO3.

Any general advice for a newbie would be heartily welcomed and thanks for having patience with my questions which are the basic of basic?

Thanks guys.

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 260
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 256
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update

Tank is coming along. Added two emerald crabs, a large feather duster, a pink coco work, a rock shelf of yellow polyps, and a sea hare for my hair algae problem. Everyone's still alive? for now.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 220
  • Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 222
  • Untitled3.jpg
    Untitled3.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 226
  • Untitled4.jpg
    Untitled4.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 217
  • Untitled5.jpg
    Untitled5.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 225

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: