shalegac

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been intrigued by brandon429’s posts. I myself have a 10 gallon nano but nothing like his little systems. I would like to see some pics and system specs of any of your nano tanks out there. I myself don’t have a camera to post pics yet… but I think it would be interesting to see how nano systems have come to age. Let's see 'em.

Sea Serpent

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi shalegac,
I am gonna try posting this picture as an attachment - This is my 15 gallon "work" tank. It sits in my cube with me and everyone in the office loves it. It is very high-end, i.e. 55 w daytime, 55 w actinic watts lights, remora skimmer, microchiller w/controller. I custom-made the cabinet to hold all of the electrical stuff. BTW, this system is for sale. The air temp in the office is way too unstable for ANY system - it varies from 90 degrees to 65 degrees. I fear for their safety when the snow flies . .
Anyways, here goes . . . Enjoy!
Sea Serpent

Attachments

• full view with cab open.jpg
    full view with cab open.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 5,347

shalegac

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your not kidding! That tank is beautiful. I have no where near the setup you have, but man I love to see such nice tanks. Hopefuly once I'm maried and settled down I'll have the time for such a project. Congrats...
Come on reefers, keep em comin!

shalegac

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea Serpent are you selling the whole system or breaking it up... I would love to get ahold of some lighting. I'm a poor college shmuck so moneys tight. One step at a time you know. I'm only running 18 watt blue white P/C right now. Let me know [email protected]
thanks shaun

Contesini

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go:

I'd like to talk about a simple system that doesn't use skimmer, supplements, control of temperature, etc.
First of all, I'll ask you to go to: http://www.aquahobby.net/tanks/tank0105a.html
There is something about my experience w/ my 7 gallon nano reef there. The nano is going to be 3 years old.

contesini_nanovistageral.jpg

Nowaday I have just 2 Power compacts 25w ( 6500k ) and 1 Powerhead. No skimmer, no chiller, no heater, no supplements, no kalkwasser, no, no, no...
Water changes: 3 gallon / year
My rotine: Every day I replace fresh water and each 2 or 3 days I give some food to the 2 perculas clown. Just it.
These experience show me that there is an easier way to keep a mini-reef when you understand what the animals really need.
I'll be waiting for your comments.
C ya.

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow I am suprised your calcium and alkalinity measures arent a little low only changing the water three times a year. all of your corals look very healthy

In my unskimmed nanos, the pH will drop if alkalinity is not supplemented a few times a week. Maybe your salt mix uses sufficient buffer? Living near the tropics you obviously have good stable ambient temp--here in Texas you have to have a heater though, our winters can be harsh.

Ive seen your reef as a featured reef aquarium before, congratulations on a very well-designed system.

b429

Contesini

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Brandon !
Thanks.
Your answers:

"Maybe your salt mix uses sufficient buffer ?"
I use natural salt water.

"I am suprised your calcium and alkalinity measures arent a little low only changing the water three times a year."
Nowadays changing the water 1 time a year ( +- 3 gallons )
Who told you that the calcium isn't a little low ?? ( LOL ). It's near 360.

"Does your pH stay at 8.2-8.3? "
May be it stays at 8.2-8.8.

"Living near the tropics you obviously have good stable ambient temp"
Are you sure ??? ( LOL ).
The temperature of the water stays between 18C - 31C

I think that for many of the animals we know, we doesn't need more than good live rocks, good substrate, circulation, light and some water changes.
Give time to time is the way...

C ya.

shalegac

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice tank. I also am going skimmerless. I do however use a regular carbon filter, and one 201 powerhead. I add calcium, and iodine. The only thing I have a problem with is my low light. 18 watts on a ten gallon is not alot, but you would be suprised that I can keep xenia, a torch and green pearl bubble, also assorted leathers and my mushrooms, (which keep spliting). I do however have my tank near a window and I use the sunlight which gets pretty bright for being winter in Michigan. I use a submerged heater that has temp control on it. It stays at a constant 81 f. Just thought I'd add my own two cents again.

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading your web page I was informed a little more. having the system refreshed by natural seawater continually (which is a great idea) puts my thinking in a different direction. I see why alkalinity maintenance is not necessary. How often does the water get down to 64 degrees F ?

Your tank is very nicely stocked and obviously healthy--once again, excellent nano.

b429

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shalegac its ironic you mention that about the lighting. When I used to run what I thought was too low of a light on my system, the corals looked better than ever, and as you say they were splitting asexually. When my friend gave me some acropora, I was just sure it would start receeding unless I doubled the light. I tried to acclimate them to the new light slowly, but even after a few weeks the corals don't seem to be as happy as they were with the lower lights. Even the blastomussa don't open as wide as they used to, although they still open.
Im not too happy with the mini75 right now... water parameters are still right on- its only the lights Ive changed.

b429

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
perhaps I should post a minor retraction--- how could I even mention "texas winters" and not notice you were from MI shalegac. :oops:

down here that is called preaching to the choir.

Contesini

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Brandon !
Your answers:

"How often does the water get down to 64 degrees F ?"
During the winter, somenights the water get down to 64F for more than 6 hours ( and sometimes less than 64F ).

First year, the system was refreshed by natural seawater continually but after 1 year and half I stopped the water changes and nowadays I've changed just 3 gallon per year ( +- ). Because of this, I think that this system can run with bigger reef tanks ( the water changes will not be a problem ).

[ ]s

shalegac

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as water changes for me I do maybe a ten percent once a month or so.
My light even though alot of people would yell at me on here I feel is okay, I'm not about to try acropora though. I wish I could but budget dosn't agree.
Weather in MI is interesting, 10 degrees one day 50 the next. Thats why it is good to have adjustable heaters. Funny about preaching to the choir, I've heard that saying my whole life but after going to church a few times I find the choir gets preached to more than the rest of the church :evil: .

shalegac

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing, I once added another 32 watts of light and my coral hated it for some reason. I assimilatted and it still didn't seem to work. I may try to add another 13 watts soon.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: