A

Anonymous

Well, now that the holidays are over with, I should have a bit more time to catch up on all the cool goings-on at RDO, like this new forum!!

I posted a couple of notes and some of these pictures before, but I thought I'd toss them out again, now that Brandon not only inspired me to build this tank (built the base and canopy, too), but inspired RDO to give nanos their own forum!!

As I mentioned, I did all the woodwork for the base and canopy myself. Took about a week just working an hour or so here and there and basically piddling around with it.

The light is just a little $20 booklight thing from HD. I'll probably change the bulb out eventually.

In the sump section I've got a layer of fine sand, a layer of Miracle Mud, and then another layer of sand. I'm actually having the same problem with this 2.5 as with my big 75, though. All the rock and the MM was donated by that tank, and I'll be damned if I can grow anything in there. Caulerpa just slowly dies off. It's a mystery! So the result is I'm not really stocking the 2.5 with much of anything (there's a camel shrimp in there somewhere, but I only see him every 2 or 3 days) until I get this water situation figured out. As soon as I do, I may take the tank to school with me (I'm a middle school teacher) to put on my desk...it's the perfect size and would be great for explaining marine ecosystems to the kids. I teach reading and language arts, but I'm always tossing out mini-science lessons on marine biology and oceanography. hehe.

-John

Attachments

• 2half 2.jpg
    2half 2.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 2,448
  • 2half 3.jpg
    2half 3.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 2,452
  • 2half light.jpg
    2half light.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 2,456

PFB

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the bulb and make sure it is 65K.
If not, order one of the nice 13 watt 10K + blue combos online.
FYI, I have the same book worm with an additional JBJ 18 watt on top of my 3 gal. and stuff is growing like crazy.
(suff as in macro and corals)

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks great! as I said earlier, you and Glazer have the knack for woodworking--- canopy and stand looks custom professional/

I think the use of MM in the baffle refugium should add some nutrients to the system that the macro should favor. Maybe the macro growth is limited by lighting at this time, your light above is great but maybe the baffle blocks out too much incoming light from above. Sharkky, is there any way you could get an azoo palm light for 20 bones to hit it from behind continually? with regular Ca+/CaCO3 additions, bioload and continual light I dont see why the caulerpa wouldnt grow. I bet if you light it intensely from behind the macro will resume. Also, FWIW grape algae is working better in my Brefug. Taxifolia did well, but grape took over.

I think regular food addition to feed the copepods is a vital part of a balanced system. The food additions will add just about all the elements necessary in that small of a tank.

azoo palm lights are the perfect spectrum for growing plants, 14 dollars about 20 with shippping, Ive had mine on continually for 6 months straight now (good balast design).

www.aquaticeco.com

Your substrate setup is something I would be interested in trying in the Mini75.

get us a pic if you can with it in the classroom--you know they are going to LOVE having a pico reef!

b429

PFB

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought - maybe Iron supplement for macro????
What about trace elements, though frequent water changes should supply enough?
Shouldn't need it but it couldn't hurt if dosed as per directions.
Most all macros will crash if not pruned, I just got lazy with that and have experienced about a 50% die off over the last couple of days.
With proper spectrum PCs and nutrients in water, your Macro should grow like crazy.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PFB":b61mocmh said:
With proper spectrum PCs and nutrients in water, your Macro should grow like crazy.

I agree, and I've never had problems with macros in other tanks before, just this 75 and everything that comes out of it. Nutrient load should be plenty, especially since nitrates continue to rise slowly but steadily. Caulerpa (or anything else) just doesn't seem to be able to take hold, even with regular iron supplements. :?

PFB

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went back and read your original post.
You did a great job of explaining issues, well beyond me to help so I will shut up.
One final suggestion (didn't read every detail in posts) - are you using RO/RI for top-offs and changes? If so, have you tried different brand - maybe something funky in water that adversly effecting macro...

Good luck. - Atleast you don't have hair algae :wink:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PFB":2lznwlwp said:
Went back and read your original post.
You did a great job of explaining issues, well beyond me to help so I will shut up.
One final suggestion (didn't read every detail in posts) - are you using RO/RI for top-offs and changes? If so, have you tried different brand - maybe something funky in water that adversly effecting macro...

Good luck. - Atleast you don't have hair algae :wink:

I use RO/DI for water changes, but usually just use tap water for top-off (about a gallon per day). Very true about the hair algae; I've had several people that tell me many would kill to have my problem--no algae at all, ever. :wink: I just wish I could grow caulerpa for my tang and angel and could put more corals in. Even my button polyps are closed and shriveled. :?

nilestr

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your light hood looks good but why not line the inside with foil and get as much light into the tank as possible. It won't make a huge difference but it does help and cost nothing.

Just a thought

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: