• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our saltwater aquarium community?
    JOIN NOW

Fishgod

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 12gal system, what kind of supplements are necessary for optimum coral coral growth? I plan on keeping Xenia, bubble, button polyp, elephant ear mushroom, possibly some smaller mushrooms and leathers. This is all eventually, of course.

On one hand, I have read numerous nano-aquarists who claim that the trace elements provided by Instant Ocean salts coupled with weekly water changes are the only trace element supplementation that the system needs to thrive.

The other school of thought states that small amounts of Kalk and trace mixes are still required for healthy corals, in addition to the regular water changes.

I've been looking for the right answer somewhere in the middle, adding SOLELY Kalk as a supplement/buffer and relying on the Instant Ocean salts to provide trace element restoration.

Any answers or thoughts from someone with more experience is greatly appreciated :D

Fishgod

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oops... can an Admin remove this thread, i accidentally hit reload on the "your message posted" page

thanks

Joey French

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stay with your normal routine, regular water changes should supply all you need in terms of trace elements, and regular addition of kalk (or whatever system to maintain Ca/Alk) should be enough. Joey

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I really agree with Joey's response, the salt mix should have all the trace elements you need and water changes will replenish as needed... calcium and alkalinity supp't will be needed especially with those corals you mentioned. Additions of Dt's phytoplankton would be nice but not essential, and some feel adding a little iodine/iodide to a nano is beneficial but this is the topic of much heated debate! With your fish load and the resulting food input Ia is probably in sufficient amounts.

Kalk is a fine supp't of calcium/alk, so is the two part additives like C Balance

Brandon

wombat1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on doing large weekly water changes on my 6 gallon, but only adding a very dilute sol'n of Kalk. So far I'm losing 1/4 gallon a day, which is about 5% of the total volume. IMO, adding this much pure Kalk would send the pH too high, so I'll be adding a weaker sol'n. Make VERY sure that you have a way to slowly add Kalk rather than dumping it in all at once.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: