• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

pwhofmann

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone recommend somewhere that I might be able to order 3 1/2 gallon hex custom acrylic aquariums. I have two currently but the acrylic is deteriorating and I know I am going to need to replace them eventually. Both tanks have been running for close to 10 years now and each tank has anywhere from 10 to 20 different types of coral. Both tanks are also great systems for coral propagation. So, as you can see I hate to change the system if I can avoid it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Pam

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pam I have to chime in here, didn't see this thread get by I hope you will be able to come back for a sec!

You have three gallon picos that are +10 years old? That's really serious. I just got through writing a semi-formal article on the history of pico reef design and a 10 year old 3 gallon would be the oldest currently running pico reef worldwide, unless more of you guys are out there in the nooks and crannies of the web we didn't know about when proclaiming age!

So if you have anything about your pre-2000's pico reefs Id love to update my new stuff with them
B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
brandon429":2303vxnq said:
I just got through writing a semi-formal article on the history of pico reef design and a 10 year old 3 gallon would be the oldest currently running pico reef worldwide, unless more of you guys are out there in the nooks and crannies of the web we didn't know about when proclaiming age!

You talked to DC Potts, right? Haven't heard from him in years, but he was the nano guy before I was the nano guy... ca. 94-96 or thereabouts.

pwhofmann

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brandon,

I'm sorry I didn't get back to the forum again sooner to reply to your post. I started with my first 3 1/2 gallon reef tank in 1998/99 and that tank has been dragged across the country with us as we moved from WV to CO to WA. Although naturally I have changed things along the way my one tank has been running since 98/99, my second since shortly after we moved to WA in 2000. Both tanks are incredibly stable and are very good tanks for propagating coral. I am constantly looking for people with bigger tanks to pass on my coral to as it reproduces and outgrows my tank. My husband and I got started with reef aquariums after meeting a guy in WV. At that time I had freshwater fish in the 3 1/2 and mentioned that I would love to convert it to a reef and the guy said he would love to help me experiment with doing that and it has been running every since. No skimmers, etc. Just a hang on the back filter, heater and a Coralife mini light. Anyway, if you have any questions I would be happy to try to answer them. I am far from an expert on the subject, I simply love nano reefkeeping and am always trying to improve my system. One more thing I forgot was that I do have fish in both tanks and a variety of inverts, all of which do very well. Through lots of trial and error we have learned which fish and inverts and in what combination do best in these tiny tanks. My current research in this area is in finding a better lighting system and finding a way to increase the flow/water movement in my tanks. As you can see from my initial post I am also in the market for new acrylic tanks. I hope some of this info is helpful. I will try to check back soon to see if you have any questions.

Pam

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I literally dont know how I missed these replies. CJD I have referenced your work man and P nice to meet you so many months later sorry for the delay. I appreciate the responses and being part of the community ya'll holler out here in Texas when in Amarillo lol
B

brandon4291

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did chat with DC, one way lol

he responded to my thread at nano reef, something about pre 2000's pico reefs and it was neat to get his input brief as it was~

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: