petraio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
it a shame about reef encounter because the owner has a lot of knowledge just he has a very different mind of the modern business if reef hobby and i don't get him !! it's like if every other store out there is carrying either an equipment or live stock that the market demands he does the opposite!

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
I feel same about reef encounter. Very nice, knowledgable, not so pushy and willing to answer question or offer ideas but stock isn't as impressive as it once was. Its on way home from work so i stop in Just because....

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
You guys have given me some places to add to my list. Although, my wife has informed me that after tonight's purchase of four fish and two corals I am cut off from more tank spending until we get back from our Disney vacation in February! :-(

Alfred

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I have been to Reef Encounters over 20 times the past 3 years and had the same experience every time. A less than impressive livestock selection and a very poorly educated staff. The knowledge they have of their livestock is the worst I have ever seen in any LFS. As for OG 2, Brian won't be back anytime soon. You don't do what he did to the store and get welcomed back. I'm not going into detail, but Gary and little Brian told me what he did and I wouldn't bring anyone back that did that to my shop. They will get it turned around, I know they have some very high end stuff tucked away there and are letting it grow out. It's not anywhere the general public could see it.

Brando457

NJRC Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
I have been to Reef Encounters over 20 times the past 3 years and had the same experience every time. A less than impressive livestock selection and a very poorly educated staff. The knowledge they have of their livestock is the worst I have ever seen in any LFS. As for OG 2, Brian won't be back anytime soon. You don't do what he did to the store and get welcomed back. I'm not going into detail, but Gary and little Brian told me what he did and I wouldn't bring anyone back that did that to my shop. They will get it turned around, I know they have some very high end stuff tucked away there and are letting it grow out. It's not anywhere the general public could see it.

I have dealt with Nate @ Reef Encounters and he has always been awesome to deal with.

I also have dealt with Gary @ OGII and he is typically helpful. There is one guy there that I forget his name, but he typically wears sweats and is a more muscular/built guy (not the one in glasses) w/ a shaved head that is AWESOME to deal with. He is a hobbyist and talking about the corals you can tell he loves the hobby.

I think there are a few more stores popping up in NJ though so we'll see what 2013 brings :) :hug:

empire

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I also never had a positive experience with Reef Encounters. OG is always fun to visit, hopefully they get back to the level that they used to be at. Red Sea's new place looks great! I still have to give it to Captivating Corals. Whenever I want a specimen, they always deliver. Despite their small size, they always seem to have an amazing selection with unbeatable prices. I saw them acclimating a beautiful flame wrasse trio yesterday!

ilyreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so glade i found this, even tho its from last year. I am going to check out some of the stores that were mentioned here.

I have been going to OG2. It was the only saltwater store I knew of in the area but i agree with Greg45. The staff there are not friendly and hardly smile or even make eye contact.

Excited to go to these other stores there websites look great.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone been to H20 in Jersey City (corner of Jersey and Columbus)? What kind of SW selection do they have?

Their salt water fish selection is a bit limited, but they carry the usual suspects like clowns, damsels, chromis, cardinals, butterflies, and tangs. Most of the shop is tailored to fresh water, but as I?m just starting out, I still find it an excellent resource for ongoing, miscellaneous needs.

Nottick

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Has anyone been to H20 in Jersey City (corner of Jersey and Columbus)? What kind of SW selection do they have?

I went there after work. They have an extremely limited supply and seem a little on the pricey side. There was a copper band and I asked what it ate and I was told it eats shrimp. Mind you he had just fed the tank so I'm watching the copper band completely ignore all of it when he screams in my ear " you want you want buy now"

To me that type of pushy service shows how little they care about the consumer buying the item and someone who wouldn't have known better would have been out $60 for a copper band. Just my opinion.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: