Reef_Paddy

Always Thinkering
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I'll be pulling the trigger on an LED upgrade early next year but before I do I want to compare output of different units in real applications. They will be incorporated into an RSM130D and am still undeceided if I will mount within the hood (yes, I know it would only be about 4 inches from the water and possibly in a humid environment) or gutting the insides of the hood and actually sitting the LED unit on top of the lid and cutting out the necessary holes to allow the light in. (I have a custom LED build within the hood at present)

What i'd like to see in person is the following to help me make up my mind

EcoTech Radion Gen 2 or Pro
GHL Mitras
AI Vega
AI Sol - (Seen in Manhattan Aquarium and really impressed with the pop from the corals)

Do any of the New Jersey Reef stores have these in use? (Ive not actually been to any as I don't own a car so before renting one for the I'd like put a plan in place)

My other considerations for purchase at present are:
Battery Backup - Radion gets the points
Profilux Control - Radion, Mitras and Sol are all connectible, possibly the Vega in future, but then again maybe AI Director will trump what the Profilux can provide from a light control perspective)
Cost - Both AI are clear winners

Thanks
Jason

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
I'm not sure if any NJ stores are using them as display, IMO t
You would be better of checking the tank thread section here for more accurate answer to what your looking for- and if you find one that interests you, pm member and get a truthful account of light/tank

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Aquatic obsessions has kessils, AI sols and maxspect razors running, ocean gallery's has the older gen 1 AI and Radions running. Absolutely fish has some LEDs but not sure what brand it is. Ocean gallery might have something else running, I know they were talking about it.

Reef_Paddy

Always Thinkering
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I'm not sure if any NJ stores are using them as display, IMO t
You would be better of checking the tank thread section here for more accurate answer to what your looking for- and if you find one that interests you, pm member and get a truthful account of light/tank

Yeah, I've been checking 100's of tank builds but color temperature of LED's and digital photography don't exactly go hand in hand so you don't really get a real picture most of the time.

Reef_Paddy

Always Thinkering
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Aquatic obsessions has kessils, AI sols and maxspect razors running, ocean gallery's has the older gen 1 AI and Radions running. Absolutely fish has some LEDs but not sure what brand it is. Ocean gallery might have something else running, I know they were talking about it.

Thanks for the information.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
i am not a fan of the ai sol's, yes some people have luck with them, ive owned the white and the blue, yes they make corals pop, currently i have a nano-box led light which i love, has 6 different colored leds, only dont side is even though i can adjust each spectrum i cant do a dush to dawn other then how i have it set-up to come on, you have to manually adjust the color spectrum but they are working on a digital controller for it as well. it lights a 45g 2x2 cube easily

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Well I was posting where he could see them, as for personally owning LEDs. I have had the razor maxspect, the Radions and AI sols blue. I currently have only the AIs, only because the other ones were still new enough to get most of my money back on the units. I'm currently setting up a new tank and it will have MHs and 4 T5's. I might add a reefbrite all blue to aid with any pop, this will only be used during the morning and evening, not while the MH is running.

Brando457

NJRC Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
EcoTech Radion Gen 2 or Pro - owned Pro version did not like
GHL Mitras - haven't seen
AI Vega - nice light, more color than Ai SOl, but perform just a swell
AI Sol - cousin and few friends run these lights - they're awesome and I highly recommend them. I most likely will do 3 on my 180 gallon tank I'm setting up.

rcharliesam

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
EcoTech Radion Gen 2 or Pro - owned Pro version did not like
GHL Mitras - haven't seen
AI Vega - nice light, more color than Ai SOl, but perform just a swell
AI Sol - cousin and few friends run these lights - they're awesome and I highly recommend them. I most likely will do 3 on my 180 gallon tank I'm setting up.

You owned the radion pro, how? From what I have seen it is not available yet.

ducati335i

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
178   0   1
Ai sol all the way.. Tried and true, great customer service.. There is a thread on rc that's goes into full detail of ai sols .. That's what sold me on them.. I have hundreds of corals in my main display and all grow amazing..

R and R Aquatics

www.RandRAquatics.com
Vendor
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Over some of my tanks I have Sols and Fathom Leds if you would like to come check them out you are more then welcome.
I am very happy with the Sols and would recommend them to anyone, just had a circut board short out on me and they sent me a replacement ASAP so they are a great company with great lights and service!

Bio14guy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Check out RapidLed.com I have them in my JBJ 28 and Love them I have seen good growth on my SPS and LPS within a month of having them on the tank. And you're not spending a Ton on them. They do have a kit for the RSM also. Hope it helps.

Reef_Paddy

Always Thinkering
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Check out RapidLed.com I have them in my JBJ 28 and Love them I have seen good growth on my SPS and LPS within a month of having them on the tank. And you're not spending a Ton on them. They do have a kit for the RSM also. Hope it helps.

Thanks, I already have a DIY LED unit i put together from Rapid. I'm testing an AI Sol on my tank as of this evening and the difference between DIY and these is amazing! My DIY has 8 Cool white, 8 Blue and 8 Royal blue. AI blows them away. Now its a question of Sol or Vega! :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: