• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our saltwater aquarium community?
    JOIN NOW

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Hello Folks!!

As many of you know I am an educator in NYC (Queens this time). Last week I took a small group of students on a variety of trips and learning excursions to get into the final stages of fixing up a "new to us" tank system and creating a full blown reef.

This reef will eventually be the first major project we use to begin a Marine biology themed concentration at the school I work in. So, it is part 1 of a large project.

Anyway, I asked Calvin if he would let us visit his store so that the students could learn about tank husbandry, the aquaria business, as well as get to subsidize the online research of equipment with hands on experience with those items in a store.

Not only did he dedicate almost an hour to talking with them and showing them how his elaborate systems work, he donated sand, salt, hose, and bottles of Dr. Tim to us along with a 20% discount on fish in the future!!!!!!!!!

The students were so pleased!

This is a great show of local stores supporting the growth of science education for youth.
My school is located in Jamaica, Queens. We do not get a ton of resources to make education great. So, business owners like Calvin doing something like this, is really helpful.

We will continue to support him as he has supported us.

Please consider his store when you make your next purchase.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
039369dd2ec5aac7027d61f15e7e27c6.jpg

Frankie_Marble

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
That's one of the greatest things about this hobby. People helping people. I like to hear about these things. I'll Def be visiting new York reef aquatic.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Thanks folks!!

mrdobie: That is a great question!
I bought a controller for the tank. I'll hope to get a camera too so that it can be hooked up to the wifi system we have so I can monitor the tank in multiple ways, at all times.
I'll be searching for a solid ATO system soon too.

Also, I don't really get a summer break!
While I may take a week or so of vacation in July, someone will always be on site.

New York Reef Aquatic

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Thank you William for the shout out. I'm glad your students liked coming. Was worried at first since we weren't sure how to make the occasion special for the kids but looks like it turned out ok and they enjoyed it.
Thank you everyone for the support. Truly, a heartfelt thank you for choosing to come around this shop amongst the many to choose from.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: