NewfiDog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not use furnace cement. Are you sure it is stainless, I haven't seen any stainless that you crimp but I just may have never seen that brand. You crimp the galvanized flue, if its galvanized it cheap replace it, the only thing I can think of off hand is the crimp is backwards. If its stainless you may be in for a surprise at the cost , and its crap stainless on top of it but its whats approved so they charge a lot for it, but when you scrap it its worth pennies.
Or is it B vent, and connection is wrong there that also dosent cost very much but more than galvanized, be safe let the guy fix it.

Last edited:

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370646874.170791.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1370646884.036681.jpg

NewfiDog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a VHE boiler, stands for very high efficient, which it is not. You do need to use stainless on that boiler but it looks as if it goes into a chimney and If I remember correct that boiler cannot go into a chimney, you would need to double check that in the instructions, if you don't have them I can take a look. Im preety sure it has to be direct vent.

NewfiDog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That boiler cannot be vented in a chimney, unless the stainless runs up the entire chimney which it wont because there is another appliance vented in there. Before you go and spend a lot of money venting it properly you should take into account that this is a somewhat older unit which has a secondary stainless heat exchanger in it which is prone to leaking. You may want to consider a new boiler which can be vented into the existing chimney as long as the chimney is in good shape.

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
According to the home inspector it's vented all the way up a separate shaft and done properly !
My issue with it is all that silicone makes me think there is some sort of leak and I don't wanna mess around with Co2 leaking into the house!

Dk638

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
140   0   0
Hey Matt, I think the newer ones should have a drain to release condensate build up which may be why they siliconed it(if it doesn't have a drain). Anyway did you hang a co2 detector on the room? Might be a good idea to see if its leaking.

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Newfi can u help me with this there is no $ right now to change out the boiler
But I wanna make sure it's safe for me and my family 9 moth old son
Can this siliconed pipe hold on for a bit or should it be changed?

NewfiDog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There already is a condensate tee at the boiler. You are to far for me to replace it. The older style stainless didn't seal the joints and they most likely did leak condensate but not exhaust. Your contractor mentioned its not crimped properly not sure what he means, most companies have there own connections, which brings up another issue if you need to replace some of it and you cannot get the same manufacture you would have to replace the whole exhaust all the way up. If you don't trust the first guy get another contractor to come out and look.

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
The first guy is the guy that just installed my Centrel air / forced hot air and was gonna do the job for material cost but now backing out saying ill do it when it gets cold sure!!!
He's comming tomorrow ill see what he has to say!

How much a new gas furnace cost?

NewfiDog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cost for a new boiler ranges greatly as to what you get or need. If you at all consider it don't be so fast to believe all the hype on condensing boilers, theres more bad than good, costly to install and costly to service which it needs annually. Since you have no chimney the cost goes up. You can be anywhere from 5G to 10G, and even more for some of the better condensing boilers(don't recommend).

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: