Rating - 100%
24   0   0
+1, if this is your first bow I would 100% get fitted for it by a pro shop. I missed the "first bow" part in your previous post. Personally I think you should shoot a lighter draw weight until you perfect your form. Whether you pull 40 or 70 it's all about arrow placement. Back to draw length though, definitely very, very crucial.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Also I've been doing it along time. You don't have to pull 70lbs. Between 50 and 60 is all you need. You don't want to be stuck with a deer behind a tree with you at full draw holding a heavy draw. You won't be able to stay steady or even hold it without letting go. Sure the bow will have let off at full draw but it's still heavy after a minute.

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
This is only my second season, saw a lot of deer last year but didn't feel comfortable enough to let one rip.
There are tons of options out there for bows, the few guys I go out with like hoyt. I just got a bow tech fuel a few months ago, so far I like it though I think I would have preferred the carbon knight, we'll see. One really nice thing about the fuel is its very adjustable in draw length and weight so you can grow into it and or perfect your form and step up a few lbs afterwards.

Yeah I was reading and found out what draw length is for. My draw is about 26 according to the formula. I found a bow that I'm going to pick up today with a draw length of 28 so I should be ok I think. We'll see when I target practice. I was shooting a bow yesterday that I have no idea what the draw length was, I'll have to ask my gf's dad.

Btw, I'm not going into this blind. My gf's dad is an avid hunter so I have some slight guidance and any modifications that need to be made to my specs he can take care of.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
How tall are you that your draw lent his 26? I'm 5'6 and my draw length is 30. You have to also add your d string to the equation as well. You can shoot other bows all day what really counts is how it does for you in the field.

How tall are you that your draw lent his 26? I'm 5'6 and my draw length is 30. You have to also add your d string to the equation as well. You can shoot other bows all day what really counts is how it does for you in the field.

I'm the same height as you. I'm going to have to find out what the draw length I was shooting yesterday as a point of comparison.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Trust me go to a shop and have them measure you. I can shoot a 28 or a 36 probably the same but it's about draw time, accuracy and comfort that is needed. It's about placement of your release point, elbow and eye placement on the bow. Don't go by someone else's bow. Just like your tank everybody is different and you need to find where you are the most comfortable. Find a rest that suits you I like a whisker biscuit, find a broad head and weight that you like and a sight. When you practice see how long you can hold the weight before you release the arrow. I picked my draw weight over a 2 minute hold. Was this the first compound bow you ever shot?

Trust me go to a shop and have them measure you. I can shoot a 28 or a 36 probably the same but it's about draw time, accuracy and comfort that is needed. It's about placement of your release point, elbow and eye placement on the bow. Don't go by someone else's bow. Just like your tank everybody is different and you need to find where you are the most comfortable. Find a rest that suits you I like a whisker biscuit, find a broad head and weight that you like and a sight. When you practice see how long you can hold the weight before you release the arrow. I picked my draw weight over a 2 minute hold. Was this the first compound bow you ever shot?

Thanks for the advice. The 70 lbs of draw weight is a bit heavy for me, I'm not going to lie about that. Draw I have no idea what it was so I can't comment. I did like the sight, that was probably the coolest thing, true glow bright little fiber optic dot.

And yes it was the first compound bow I ever shot

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
You only need 35lbs in ny of draw weight to hunt. :) get a bow that can be adjust from 50 to 70 and start from there. Go to a bow range and star at 50lbs and you can go up from there if needed. But first find your draw length that the most important because you cant change it once you buy your bow

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
i have a PSE compound i can sell.
the heavier the draw weight the flatter the arrow travels, you don't realize the ark an arrow travels.
if your just starting out ny legalized cross bows for hunting.

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Duke is on point, do yourself a favor and setup right the first time.
last season I bought a hand me down Martin and I shot it fine, grouped no problem. I just wanted to get out last season and scout, etc, etc. This season I wanted a bow for the next few seasons at least so figured go get fitted properly and spend a little extra $.
Found out I Was shooting a draw multiple inches to short which wasn't allowing me to have a good comfortable form. Even though I still grouped fine my new setup just feels so much more comfortable at full draw. May sound weird but the way I figure out my draw weight is kneeling. I kneel on both knees, if I can't pull back smoothly and hold without an problem for at least a minute I go lower in weight. Like Duke said NY is 35 lb minimum.
If you shoot 35 and hit the vitals good that thing is going down as if you hit it with a 100 lbs, doesn't matter much a good hit is a good hit and now days bows with lower draw weights still let arrows fly out a good speeds.
You can get a decent full setup field ready for anywhere between probably $500 and $1k now a days. I really suggest nor getting used for your first bow until you really have a good feel for it and know exactly what you need and to look for.
It's always good to have an experienced hunter with you but still good to listen to a pro shop guy that is knowledgeable.

shauns220

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
if your just starting out ny legalized cross bows for hunting. SINCE when ?

REEFS4LIFE go to a pro store and let them measure u up,, its very important that everything is for ur settings not someone elses..
And if ur not comfortable with the setup ,make it comfortable for u or the time u need it it wont work ,been bow hunting for over 30yrs..still have a pearson striker with 75lb draw..285fps and theres no reason to upgrade for me..
Use feathers ,its less forgiving and dont forget to practice with the same broadheads u are going to hunt with...TOTALALLY different from target heads,

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: