Savager

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
any1 have this camera n opinions. i'm thinking of getting 1 for $450.
thks

Go for it. It's great beginner's camera. I am assuming $450 include the kit lense as well, right? Then it's good price.

I know D40 has some limitation. Biggest one is that camera doesn't have builtin motor, means you have to use AF-S lense only or AF lense you have to manually focus. Problem is that alot of people use cheap but very good 50mm f1.8 lense, $100ish. But this lense is AF lense, you can't auto focus with your D40, however there's alternate lense you can use if you want auto focus.

Sigma makes HSM lense which builtin motor, you can use it on your D40.
Sigma 10-20mm HSM lense.
Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 HSM macro lense.
Sigma 30mm f1.4 HSM lense (alternate for 50mm f1.8 but it costs $400ish)

Tamron doesn't make any lense with the builtin motor however they just announced three new lenses with builtin motor. But best part is they are going to make their 17-50mm f2.8 lense with motor builtin. Probably will cost around $400 to $500.

Nikon has good line of AF-S lenses.
Obviously your kit lense, 18-55mm. It's one of the best kit lense compare to other brand like Canon.
18-70mm lense used to be a kit lense for D70 but you can get one for $200ish used. I heard it's great sharp lense.
18-135mm lense. One of the kit lense that comes with D80 and I have it and it's great lense. Good range as well.
And there's VR lense you might want to consider.
18-200mm VR lense, one of that best all around lense. Price went down alot, $600ish.
18-55mm VR lense, new kit lense for D60. around $200ish
16-85mm VR lense, I am very excited about this lense. Nikon just announced it and should be available around March or early summer. the problem is the price, $550ish. I would rather get 18-200mm if that's the right price.

Anyway, you should consider good flash as well. SB400 is good for it's price but if you want to get better SB600 is the way to go.

Goodluck.

leoskee

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I believe that's 6mp camera. But 6mp and 10mp won't make any difference on regular picture quality. You can read about the mp on Ken Rockwell's report.

It makes a big difference if you want to manipulate the pics you take. Such as enlarging areas of photos and printing them.

Savager

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
It makes a big difference if you want to manipulate the pics you take. Such as enlarging areas of photos and printing them.

Read this, http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm
He explain about the megapixel myth.

I understand about the enlarging the photo for touch up, but the difference between 6mp and 10mp isn't much different, unless you are going up against 6mp to like 14+mp.

And D40 is for amateur users, not many do photoshop to touch up their photos.

Matter of fact, some 10MP camera produce more noise than 6mp camera.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: