Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Photo Gallery Chat Reef Database Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2016, 12:27 AM
Reefer Ratings: (0 (0%)
Friends: (0)
SantaMonica is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
It's either easy or hard to keep. Can't be both. Usually there is just one simple change that changes it from hard, to easy.

Like blue ribbon eels, for example. They were "hard" to keep (would not eat) because they would just stare at the food you gave them until they starved. Until in 2006 or so, when I discovered that all they need is a long tube to hide in; if they know that their long bodies can't be seen and thus eaten, then they have no problem grabbing silversides from you. All that was needed was a piece of pvc pipe longer than their body (3+ feet). Just google "my blue ribbon eel eats!".

So the blueberry gorgs are probably the same thing... some small parameter or food particle is missing.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:33 AM
Dnyceli is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
Phytoplankton on a Doser will provide continual food in water column for them that will replicate their natural environment
Old 05-28-2016, 01:18 PM
Reefer Ratings: (2 (100%)
Friends: (1)
Hove75 is online now View My Gallery Send a Private Message
I didnt use a doser i just place it in a high flow area where my vortech hits and it worked well i feed twice a day and use leds for best results mh is a no no!!!
Old 05-28-2016, 02:45 PM
Reefer Ratings: (20 (100%)
Friends: (12)
I wonder if marine rotifers would do the trick? I have a constant culture running. Would be interesting to see if feeding the tank 1 gallon of marine rotifers every day would keep them happy.

Agora Auctions, Inc. (Ancient, World and US coins & Antiquities)
Old 05-28-2016, 03:30 PM
I use a mixture reef roids,ultra seafan, r.o.e,phyto feast and oyster feast it feeds all my coral and they love it especially the sea fan it likes a variety of foods so i think i covered all the bases lol!!
Old 05-28-2016, 03:36 PM
I have mixed feelings about the freeze dried phyto products and the "dead" foods... Unless you have incredible circulation and no dead spots I found that I would always end up with problems. That's why I went with live foods. Copepods and now rotifers. I started the rotifer culture for seahorses, but was producing so much I started dumping them in my tank. The moment I poured it in the tank all of my corals would open right up and start feeding.

Old 05-28-2016, 03:39 PM
Reall maybe i should try that only problem is the WIFE!!! Complaining about to much tanks in the house lol but i dont use freeze dried to much its just a mix with the phyto

Last edited by Hove75; 05-28-2016 at 03:41 PM..
Old 05-28-2016, 04:29 PM
You can keep a culture running in a pickle jar or large plastic container (water 1 gallon bottle) with an airstone. I have one running and I would be more than happy to show you how and give you a starter culture. The only thing you need to buy is the microalgae concentrate to feed them.

The trick is to replace half of the culture every day with fresh salt water and to feed it twice a day. So if you have a gallon container you can be feeding your tank half a gallon a day of live rotifers.

Old 05-28-2016, 05:09 PM
Kool thanks ill looking into it
Old 05-29-2016, 10:25 AM
Dnyceli is offline View My Gallery Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoent View Post
Have one for 2 months now, its hard, one day it looks good, the other it looks like its dying!
I just moved it higher up in the tank, hopefully (as i read) they like more light and water movement.
Don't need to move it towards the light. It will do nothing but burn it. Needs medium flow and Doser feeding phyto. That is all