jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I was thinking this morning one thing I like about MR is that you get to know people, and can actually meet them in person. I'm often on another bb called woodweb, for my work. People on the site are So helpful, but you could never meet everyone because people are all over the country.

I was wondering what everyone on MR did for a living and what other hobbies you have?

I'll start: I was a photographer for 14 years in the fashion/beauty industry then a few years ago I started another career making and designing furniture. That had been a hobby my whole life, and at the right time I was able to turn it into a business. I still continue with the photography, but I'm more into the design right now.
My only hobby right now is the reeftank, I don't have time for much more, or money :rolleyes: I do like paintball, though, I hope to play with some of the other MR people this summer.

Okay what's everyone else do :)

edit: If your starting to read this from the beginning the thread kind of goes off topic for a bit, but it's entertaining and worth reading. enjoy.

Jonathan

[ May 07, 2005, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: jhale ]

Last edited:

jenniebutterfly

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
ummm, i have not worked in 5 years, need a job soon though since we are trying to get a house, have to have that extra money :D before i got so into reefing i was into plants, read anything i could on house plants and picked up some stuff on others. but that hobby has died down a lot, i let my plants slide a bit and lost a few over the winter. but my reef is my biggest hobby. my son likes to help me with my tanks, so i found something we can both enjoy, and my husband is coming along :D

spykes

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
hmmm im into sports compact cars(240sx, supra etc...). I airbrush, watch anime, collect anime and go to those conventions before i started reefing. MY mom calls me jack of all trades, because i just have way too many hobbies.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I think the cost of reefing makes you consolidate your hobbies.
I also hope it's not impacting my retirement too much ;)

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Jonathan, you are right about consolidating other hobbies. Like Spykes, I was into cars, specifically BMWs. I would drive to "meets" all over the Northeast showing off modified Bimmers. Here's a pic of my own, BEFORE I was diagnosed with marinereeferitis.

My Bimmer

p.s. I'm the billing coordinator for a group of Colon & Rectal $urgeon$.

[ May 05, 2005, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: Deanos ]

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Nice ride Dean!

I'm a stagehand, specifically an Sound Guy. My love is theater, but industrials/fashion shows/ect pays the rent better. The way I look at it, I play with really expensive stereos and get paid for it.

Reefing is my primary hobby. I've had many freshwater tanks over the years (www.bad-coffee.com/100), but once I saw a picture of a reef tank, I was hooked! Other hobbies include online gaming, woodworking, and drinking beer.

I'm a gemini and I like long walks on the beach.

BC

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I work as a controller for an insurance company and I'm also the CFO of a broker dealer, at the same insurance company, where we do equity placements, raise capital and take insurance company public.

My other main hobbys are riding my motorcycle, which I actually use to pick up fish and corals and vist fish store around the NYC/NJ area, through I don't ride as much as I use to. And I collect X-mas house, which is a hobby I do around X-mas of course.

I spend alot of time on my computer and with all the fish tanks it does take up alot of my time but I make sure there is always time to drink.

pmui

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Hi All,

I'm a Project/Facilites Manager for Time Warner. I'm really and Architect by training, but there is little to no pay in that field.

My current hobbies are my Reef tank, fixing my family room so I can move to a larger tank, and a video game fanatic (current playing Tiger Wood 2005, and Katamari Damacy.), Tinker and re-build computers. Pretty good in D.I.Y. projects.

Peter

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
nice ride Dean,
I'd think that would be even more $$ than the reef tank.
Can drinking be a hobby ? :D
I used to be into buying wine, that has not happened in a while. at least not by the case. Now me and my girlfreind are into good tequila's, which can cost more than wine, but they last longer, at least they should :rolleyes:

[ May 05, 2005, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: jhale ]

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Thanks Brett and Jonathan!

There seems to be a familiar thread with reefing and drinking. My favorites include vodka (Grey Goose baby!!!) and tequilas as well. In fact, I had some Sauza 100 anos blanco tequila last night while setting up my 30g sump... yummmmm

Dean

p.s. Can't wait to get home and finish...the sump that is. ;)

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Marrone, I heard AIG needs a good controller and CFO, maybe you can help them out so my stock portfolio value can go back to where it was 3-4 years ago. Damm insurance companies!! always screwing me.

Looks like there are a lot of common hobbies I have with some of you, wood working, computers, fast cars, drinking, drinking, drinking (not so much now)?

I work in a commercial bank?s aircraft leasing division, we lease aircrafts to airlines around the world. I have been working on or with airplanes since I was 18 and enjoyed almost every minuet of it, it is a passion and pays the bills.

Last edited:

Reef Guy

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have so many hobbies I cant even think of them all but I will agree with Jhale..l.once i started reefing I cant tell you the last time i did anything else. Now i see why my g/f complains when all I have been doing is something reef related. I mean when you think about it its just a tank filled with live things and water how does it take so much time outta our lives not that i dont enjoy every moment...except when things involving leaks or falling rocks...or ich anyways some of my past/present hobbies: Fishing (similar to reefing, just you get the fish outta the ocean and not a LFS) surfing,skating,paintballing,cars, little r/c gas cars etc.

Right now Im working as a Loan Officer for a small mortgage broker in Garden City.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I'm not an alcoholic, if it came down to drinking or keeping my reef the reef would win easily. but what does that make me?
addicted to my reef? I enjoy it, but like Reef Guy said it kind of tortures you. So is it like a girlfriend you just can't break up with? :D
sorry don't mean to get OT but that seems to happen on these threads.
continue, I'm fascinated by hearing what people do.

Reef Guy

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Here's a question for you, what would you choose ANY model or ANY woman for one night or...your reef tank ? sadly i know what I would choose

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: