thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
Well for Xmas I bought myself Google TV. I have to say I am pretty impressed with it. It also caused me to go an buy a new Denon Surround Sound system. So now i can sit on my fat A$$ on the forums from my couch and use my 67 in TV as my monitor.

I hope that they come out with more apps for it which i assume they will.

But it is great to able to control everything from the keyboard. I just wish that my Xbox was the HDMI Verison. The new Denon reciever controls all video also through it!

Now to see if i should get netflix subscription. It also streams all my music form google music!!!

dherrera83

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
144   0   0
Nice, is it a led or lcd? Dont think its plasma... Think im the only one who has a plasma now. BTW the life span of those are 10 years. How i know? Mine just whent out... lol Got it when plasta just came out. Now i am left with one. A 58"... That thing sucks electricity like a muscle car does gas.

wonderballz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
We have gone without netflix for a while. I use a few mobile streaming sites, and one of the other guys put me onto a sports streaming site that streams a lot of PPV events. I watched the last UFC on the site from my Google TV STB, and the quality was surprisingly good.

I would say that you should check out what netflix streams and decide iof it's worhth the $8 a month. The only problem with some of the streaming sites is that they can often go down without warning.

LMK if you have anymore questions.

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Nice, is it a led or lcd? Dont think its plasma... Think im the only one who has a plasma now. BTW the life span of those are 10 years. How i know? Mine just whent out... lol Got it when plasta just came out. Now i am left with one. A 58"... That thing sucks electricity like a muscle car does gas.
Plasma sucks electricity like a convection oven. But NO display looks better.
GL with your google tv.
What Denon did you get?

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Plasma sucks electricity like a convection oven. But NO display looks better.
GL with your google tv.
What Denon did you get?
I have to agree with you I have been preaching about plasmas for a long time. Most lcds and leds are only 120 hz and now for some reason they are making them all only 60 which is stupid. Plasmas are 600! If anyone doesn't know hz controlls your frames per second so when you are watching something like a fast paced action movie or sporting event that is crucial. Plasmas also have whiter whites, blacker blacks and just very saturated color in general. I love my plasma and don't think I'd ever buy anything else. Not to mention they are dirt cheap right now. If you go to a best buy and talk to someone who is actually tech savvy they will even tell you that plasmas have better picture. I went with my grandmother to get a new one last year and she wanted a 27 or 32 lcd or led but I convinced her to go bigger. I was like it's probably the last tv you are ever going to get so you might as well enjoy it. LOL 47" Panasonic viera I think it was like 623 after tax and she couldn't be happier. People just get sucked into the new craze of leds just like in this hobby.

Some DLPs do have pretty decent picture but the drawback is every few years you need to replace the bulb which is a few hundred bucks. Ant have you had to replace it yet? A buddy of mine has a sony 1 and he had to replace it every 2-3 years.

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Plasmas are 60Hz as well, it's the 10 pulses per frame that gives it the "600"Hz -- also known as sub field drive refresh rate. It's the pixel response on plasmas that is superior compared to LCD. Plasma pixels can refresh at the rate of 2milliseconds, while LCD is, at best, 4milliseconds; this is dependent on the pixels' current color and what it is changing to -- thus creating motion blur on fast action sequences.

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Plasmas are 60Hz as well, it's the 10 pulses per frame that gives it the "600"Hz -- also known as sub field drive refresh rate. It's the pixel response on plasmas that is superior compared to LCD. Plasma pixels can refresh at the rate of 2milliseconds, while LCD is, at best, 4milliseconds; this is dependent on the pixels' current color and what it is changing to -- thus creating motion blur on fast action sequences.
All I know is it says 600hz on my tv and probably every plasma I ever saw..How is it 60 but 600? Sounds like what you are saying is the reason why it's 600 is because is faster so how is it 60?

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
All I know is it says 600hz on my tv and probably every plasma I ever saw..How is it 60 but 600? Sounds like what you are saying is the reason why it's 600 is because is faster so how is it 60?

60Hz x 10 pulses of the same frame = 600Hz. However the boys in the marketing department wants everyone to believe that "more" is better; heck we are in America, right? LCD/LED is the same spiel, for them it's called frame interpolation to achieve 120/240Hz.

http://www.decibelcar.com/menugeneric/219.html

wonderballz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
So how about the Google TV? LOL!!!!

Forget the GTV!

Honestly, there is still room for improvement, but the update is worlds away from what it was before. the app market needs some work, but the developers need to step up and get some apps flowing.

Since it is on the big screen, we have to get away from the mobile looking interface on some of the apps. Hopefully they will start to adapt the GUI's to a more appealing TV look.

I would like to try out the video calling, but don't have web cam to hook up to it.

The GTV can be a powerhouse once you enable streaming from your home network and integrate your wifi things to it. I downloaded and app that connects to my laptop to stream media. I also downloaded google music that streams all my music from the cloud.

It will hopefully improve as updates start flowing and developers start developing.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Hey congrats!
Quick question, i'm trying to figure out how this compares to my current set up (outside of having one unit that does what 3 systems do). It will help me figure out what my next steps are when I figure out gadget upgrades.

I have my laptop connected to my big screen via HDMI port.
With that one cord I can do anything my laptop can do independently on my TV!
I.e. stream, watch dvd's, peruse this forum, type documents, etc. It just expands my 17" monitor to a big screen.

I can watch Netflix, etc on it through my computer BUT
I also have the Wii which has a free Netflix app. So, I just need to change the input on my tv (click of a button) to watch Netflix.

I can make calls on the big screen too with skype and google voice or even magic jack using my comp using my computers webcam or attaching a web cam to the tv.

I have a cable box via Fios (i do not like fios, once I move I will change to timewarner or optimum) and can access whatever they offer me with the click of a button.

The only thing I would add for this set up, like you have said, is a surround sound system because I feel my TV sound is sometimes limited by my computer speakers.

The only downside I see with this is reduced multitasking. I can watch a movie on the big screen and use my computer to view this forum at the same time. However, I am bound by a cord so must be in the same room (unless they have a bluetooth version of this??). I mean, I have another computer in the house (the office comp) that I could use but it's a desktop that's pretty old/slow by comparison.

Also, I would add in better speakers too.

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Hey congrats!
Quick question, i'm trying to figure out how this compares to my current set up (outside of having one unit that does what 3 systems do). It will help me figure out what my next steps are when I figure out gadget upgrades.

I have my laptop connected to my big screen via HDMI port.
With that one cord I can do anything my laptop can do independently on my TV!
I.e. stream, watch dvd's, peruse this forum, type documents, etc. It just expands my 17" monitor to a big screen.

I can watch Netflix, etc on it through my computer BUT
I also have the Wii which has a free Netflix app. So, I just need to change the input on my tv (click of a button) to watch Netflix.

I can make calls on the big screen too with skype and google voice or even magic jack using my comp using my computers webcam or attaching a web cam to the tv.

I have a cable box via Fios (i do not like fios, once I move I will change to timewarner or optimum) and can access whatever they offer me with the click of a button.

The only thing I would add for this set up, like you have said, is a surround sound system because I feel my TV sound is sometimes limited by my computer speakers.

The only downside I see with this is reduced multitasking. I can watch a movie on the big screen and use my computer to view this forum at the same time. However, I am bound by a cord so must be in the same room (unless they have a bluetooth version of this??). I mean, I have another computer in the house (the office comp) that I could use but it's a desktop that's pretty old/slow by comparison.

Also, I would add in better speakers too.
Time Warner and optimum SUCK keep fios. The fios service is great the only draw back is their customer service is CRAP and they have a habbit of making your bill a random # every month always higher than it should be..at least that's what they did to me and I heard from others as well. As long as you keep on top of it you should be good. The service is really good though and it's extremely easy to use and organized well.

wonderballz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Time Warner and optimum SUCK keep fios. The fios service is great the only draw back is their customer service is CRAP and they have a habbit of making your bill a random # every month always higher than it should be..at least that's what they did to me and I heard from others as well. As long as you keep on top of it you should be good. The service is really good though and it's extremely easy to use and organized well.

Agreed, but word through the grapevine is that FiOs is no longer extending their client base, and will eventually phase out the cable/internet/phone service. From what I have heard, they will have other companies take over those services so they can focus on their wireless svc. Of course, this info has no reliable source, only heresay.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: