Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
As I have been getting older I am thinking about my life and what i have done and what I would like to do before I croak. The reason I started thinking about this is because yesterday I had some rotator cuff surgery. Not that that is a real big deal but it will take about 9 months before I can fully use it. nine months is not a big deal if you are 20.
but I have not seen 20 in over 4 decades. I figure if I am lucky I got maybe 15 decent years left before I start drooling so 9 months is a long time.
I have been so lucky in my life and feel I have some things I could share.
Things like the importance of close friends. When I had to go for this last surgery I had so many friends volunteer to drive me there and pick me up.
My friends are all calling me wanting to help with anything I need.
I am much closer to my friends than my family. Family you inherit, friends you pick.
My wife and I have some friends for over fifty years and close friends are the most important thing to me.
I have met so many really nice people in my life and many on these forums.
The few times forum members came to my house to pick up a fish or just look at the tank they were all fantastic people.
I have also lost many friends in my life. Some to Leukemia, strokes, heart attacks, drugs, Viet Nam and the Trade Center.
I am no stranger to accidents and war. I myself have been blown up, crashed twice in helocopters, broke a few bones and had many surgeries due to accidents either on the job or having fun like skiing, diving or surfing.
I have also seen more than i needed to see in one lifetime by witnessing probably 40 or so people either die in an accident or in combat. Two of them died in my arms.
But the good thing about seeing these things (if anything could be good from that) is that it puts things in perspective. Things like this hobby for instance.
It is important to me but no one "needs" a fish tank and in the scheme of things it is not that important. People are important as are friends.
It bothers me when i see members argueing on these forums about such things as ich, cyano and hair algae.
I have a terrible memory for names. I was married 6 months before I remembered my Wife's name and she is my childhood sweetheart of 38 years.
I could not imagine living with anyone else.
When we were dating and i would call her, i hoped she would not answer the phone right away so i could remember her name.
So I certainly am not going to remember the names of corals. I probably can't name 5 of my corals without looking them up.
Last week someone wanted to argue with me because i mis- named a paracite.
Young people who have not seen much or did much traveling should savor life and live each day like you will only live a short while. Spend plenty of quality time with your wife, kids and friends. Don't work every minute, take time to do things that matter.
Sometimes you can be here and in two minutes, be gone. I have seen it many times. It just takes a second to die so enjoy all you can.
My wife and I took many trips that we really couldn't afford, but I am glad we did.
Now as I get older I spend more time at Doctors offices. No diseases but things wear out as we were not designed to live past about 40 or so.
I swim 900 yards a week, eat almost no red meat, don't smoke, no salt, no junk food because I love life so much and I want to steal as many years as I can.
I hope you guys also live very long happy lives.
What is this thread about? I have no idea but the pain pills put me in a writing mood and I can't drive today.
Have A great day.
John......no....Tom....
Oh i forgot, it's Paul

SIReefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
As an official member of the 55 & over group, I whole-heartedly agree with you Paul. Steal what you can from the grim reaper, enjoy life to the fullest & make every minute count. Best wishes on your recovery. BTW I thought you were a manly man - what are you doing taking pain pills??????? j/k

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: