jdnumis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I had a rotty before but unfortunately it passed because of bloat. I am ready for another one. I found a breeder but now I have 3 kids. daughter 6 and twin boys that are 4. I raised my previous rotty very well.

I was going to possibly get a female puppy rotty. Anyone out there have any suggestions? Or have a rotty with children? My wife is concerned.

All the best,

James

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I have a rottie/shepard mix and he is awesome. He was very jumpy as a pup but hes calmed down quite a bit. I adopted him from a lady on long island that had pupies from her female rottie. The mother was a real sweetheart. As long as the dog has a great home, you will never have a promblem, no matter what breed it is. Thats always been my experience and opinion. Good luck!

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Hi James, I raised two rotties with 4 children. Ages of my children at the time were 4, 10, 13 & 16. 3 boys & 1 girl. There was never an issue with the rotties, and our children. Nor with the 1 grandchild that came before their time was up. But we have never allowed our children or grandchildren to abuse any animal. Be sure to teach your children to be respectful. We also never left children unattended with any of our dogs. Simply because children will be children.:)

Only issues I had with them was their stubbornness.;) Great dogs if you are willing to put in the time to train & socialize them properly.

jdnumis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I have a rottie/shepard mix and he is awesome. He was very jumpy as a pup but hes calmed down quite a bit. I adopted him from a lady on long island that had pupies from her female rottie. The mother was a real sweetheart. As long as the dog has a great home, you will never have a promblem, no matter what breed it is. Thats always been my experience and opinion. Good luck!

Thank you

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

jdnumis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Hi James, I raised two rotties with 4 children. Ages of my children at the time were 4, 10, 13 & 16. 3 boys & 1 girl. There was never an issue with the rotties, and our children. Nor with the 1 grandchild that came before their time was up. But we have never allowed our children or grandchildren to abuse any animal. Be sure to teach your children to be respectful. We also never left children unattended with any of our dogs. Simply because children will be children.:)

Only issues I had with them was their stubbornness.;) Great dogs if you are willing to put in the time to train & socialize them properly.

Thank you awi now to convince the wife lol

meloncoral

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are great dogs we had 2 of them
The only issue we had with the second one was he was never
Socialized with anyone but family so he freaked out on non
Family members. But that was our fault for not bringing him
Around as many people as we could to keep him social.
Otherwise awesome dogs very loyal protective just make sure
You get him from a reputable breeder thats not from parents
Who were bred for attack training
Good luck

jdnumis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Thank you

They are great dogs we had 2 of them
The only issue we had with the second one was he was never
Socialized with anyone but family so he freaked out on non
Family members. But that was our fault for not bringing him
Around as many people as we could to keep him social.
Otherwise awesome dogs very loyal protective just make sure
You get him from a reputable breeder thats not from parents
Who were bred for attack training
Good luck

I will keep that in mind

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
It's all about Consistency, Exercise, and Training. Keep in mind these dogs are fantastic with kids but due to their working nature they need a job and they need to be kept stimulated mentally and physically more so than other dogs due to their size.

You also want to SOCIALIZE THEM extremely well. I would take extra precaution because you are factoring in your kids here. Rotti's are great but I have heard stories of well behaved Rotti's having random moments of dominance where they will latch onto somebody (usually this is not a problem but most people aren't equipped to know what to do and it ends up badly).

I'm going to throw another thing into the mix. How about not buying from a breeder and adopting a Rotti Mix puppy. We have PLENTY at North Shore Animal League (depends on when of course). I can almost guarantee you that your wife will be more comfortable with this. You can see the puppies and interact with them as well.

jdnumis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
It's all about Consistency, Exercise, and Training. Keep in mind these dogs are fantastic with kids but due to their working nature they need a job and they need to be kept stimulated mentally and physically more so than other dogs due to their size.

You also want to SOCIALIZE THEM extremely well. I would take extra precaution because you are factoring in your kids here. Rotti's are great but I have heard stories of well behaved Rotti's having random moments of dominance where they will latch onto somebody (usually this is not a problem but most people aren't equipped to know what to do and it ends up badly).

I'm going to throw another thing into the mix. How about not buying from a breeder and adopting a Rotti Mix puppy. We have PLENTY at North Shore Animal League (depends on when of course). I can almost guarantee you that your wife will be more comfortable with this. You can see the puppies and interact with them as well.

That is good to know. I will look into NSAL and see what they have

Thank you

Kendall

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0

+1, great info!!

NYTUGS

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
GREAT dogs!!!! I've had a Rotti and a Pit, or american staffordshire terrier for those who can't stand to hear about pitt's (aka Nanny dog). I now have a French Mastiff aka Dogue de bordeaux and she is by far the best dog I have EVER HAD! Normally people hear Mastiff and think 200 lbs..... Reese is 90 lbs of PURE UNCONDITIONAL LOVE AND PROTECTION. I have 3 little girls 8, 9, and 12 and reese is nothing short of amaizing with them. For me and again I STRESS for me when bringing a dog into a home with children I would alwyes purchase for the simple reason that you can meet the parents of the pup and you can get an idea of exactly what you are getting. Again just my 2 cents. I see you are on LI, if you are ever out east in Wading River and wanna meet Reese just shoot me a pm...... Best of luck.

jdnumis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
+1

GREAT dogs!!!! I've had a Rotti and a Pit, or american staffordshire terrier for those who can't stand to hear about pitt's (aka Nanny dog). I now have a French Mastiff aka Dogue de bordeaux and she is by far the best dog I have EVER HAD! Normally people hear Mastiff and think 200 lbs..... Reese is 90 lbs of PURE UNCONDITIONAL LOVE AND PROTECTION. I have 3 little girls 8, 9, and 12 and reese is nothing short of amaizing with them. For me and again I STRESS for me when bringing a dog into a home with children I would alwyes purchase for the simple reason that you can meet the parents of the pup and you can get an idea of exactly what you are getting. Again just my 2 cents. I see you are on LI, if you are ever out east in Wading River and wanna meet Reese just shoot me a pm...... Best of luck.

That is why I want to buy so that you know the parents. But I may look into adopting. Thanks for the input

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I agree with Bruce to a certain extent.;) Meeting the parents can give you an IDEA of what to expect from the pup. Unfortunately the pup is not a clone of it's parents, and by meetings the parents you get somewhat of an idea, but you still have not met the grandparents or the great grandparents.. So you still don't know 100% what the pup will be like.
You still need to be watchful with the children, and others as well.;) Never ever let your guard down with your dogs especially around young children.

Do the best you can in choosing your pup, then train, exercise, tons of toys, socialize, spend as much time as you can with the pup. Boredom is the worse thing for any dog, that is what gets them in to trouble. BTW, first thing I do with all pups is get them use to taking their food away, or putting my hands in their dish & mouth. I don't know how you feel about this one, but I also made sure that my children were able to put their hand in their dish as well. I never had a problem with any of the dogs we've shared our homes with, and children; with the exception of the Akita. Never again will I own an Akita.....

maxi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
138   0   0
+1

it's all about consistency, exercise, and training. Keep in mind these dogs are fantastic with kids but due to their working nature they need a job and they need to be kept stimulated mentally and physically more so than other dogs due to their size.

You also want to socialize them extremely well. I would take extra precaution because you are factoring in your kids here. Rotti's are great but i have heard stories of well behaved rotti's having random moments of dominance where they will latch onto somebody (usually this is not a problem but most people aren't equipped to know what to do and it ends up badly).

I'm going to throw another thing into the mix. How about not buying from a breeder and adopting a rotti mix puppy. We have plenty at north shore animal league (depends on when of course). I can almost guarantee you that your wife will be more comfortable with this. You can see the puppies and interact with them as well.
+1

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: