sunny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Hello Everyone

Before we start reading what I have to say, let me clarify that I mean no harm to anyone in any sense.

Now that I have it off my chest, here is what I would like to say :)

Of late (and I am not an old timer here on this website - again no offenses meant to anyone) I have observed that quite a few threads that are posted lately have a very "vague" subject. These could be in for sale forum or in general discussions or in nudibar, but they really do not make any sense as to what the person is trying to say.

Subjects like

"How about this?"
"How much for that?"
"What do you think?"

etc etc have no meaningful message as to what a person is trying to ask or accomplish.

Would it not be better if everyone tried to put some meaningful stuff in the thread headlines? I know we have many experienced reefers and they would love to try and respond to threads where they can help. However with all other things in life, it might not be possible for them to check every thread, every day and post a reply.

It would be very helpful for all if we can summarize what the thread is about in the subject for the sake of saving sometime and getting decent responses.

This should hold true from all the forums. If you have an emergency, it will be helpful to state what it is in the subject. If you have a question it will also be helpful and someone who is browsing the forums and has experience with the issue may answer quicker...

Again, I did not mean to offend anyone, but have been thinking about this for a few days and thought this could help improve the browsing experience on this awesome reefing site.

Just my $0.02 :)

Sunny

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I don't think anyone should have to phrase anything a certain way. I've found that when people try to even as simple as title it in a more compact way they tend not to get out the questions they have the way they need to to get the answer they are looking for.

Most people when the thread pops up as a new thread read it, you can see by how quick the numbers of views climb.

I haven't seen a question go unanswered for a person in a long time.

Most people that are going to help will make it to the thread. If they don't get an answer in a reasonable time they can always reefberry or pm reliable members.

And one more thing why would what you said offend anyone? It's an opinion- you're entitled to have one.

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
It might be easier to understand by a more direct title, but when you put your cursor over a link the first few sentences pop up in a bubble so you can get an idea of what is being asked/sold etc from that. I personally check if the title does not appeal right away. I always try to help as much as possible so I read damn near every thread anyway

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
thread.gif
How about a "meaningful" subject for a thread?
sunny General Discussion
Today 12:37 AM
by TRIGGERMAN
thread_hot_new.gif
Acanthurus dussumieri
sunny Fish
03-08-2012 09:32 PM
by marrone
thread_hot_new.gif
Sunny's 350G Build (
multipage.gif
12)
sunny Tank Threads
03-08-2012 08:51 PM
by sunny
thread.gif
WTB Reefbrite 36/48 inch.
sunny Want to Buy
03-02-2012 03:02 PM
by sunny
thread_hot.gif
High end SPS pack - Cheap
sunny For Sale/For Trade
02-29-2012 12:39 PM
by sunny
thread_hot.gif
Huge Red Cap Frags - Free to a good home
sunny Don't brake the Chain
02-26-2012 05:37 PM
by sunny
thread_hot.gif
American pinpoint PH monitor
sunny For Sale/For Trade
01-31-2012 09:41 AM
by sunny
thread_hot.gif
Australian BiColor hammer FS - NJ
sunny For Sale/For Trade
01-30-2012 10:36 PM
by sunny
thread_hot.gif
Mushroom for Sale
sunny For Sale/For Trade
01-16-2012 09:33 AM
by sunny
thread_hot.gif
SPS Frag Pack - Cheap
sunny For Sale/For Trade
01-15-2012 12:09 PM
by sunny
thread_hot.gif
MRC 48 inch hi-flow Acrylic sump - Only used a month
sunny For Sale/For Trade
10-31-2011 11:01 PM
by sunny
Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

I don't see anything impressive about your Titles bro...

Last edited:

sunny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
thread.gif
How about a "meaningful" subject for a thread?
sunny General Discussion
Today 12:37 AM
by TRIGGERMAN
thread_hot_new.gif
Acanthurus dussumieri
sunny Fish
03-08-2012 09:32 PM
by marrone
thread_hot_new.gif
Sunny's 350G Build (
multipage.gif
12)
sunny Tank Threads
03-08-2012 08:51 PM
by sunny
thread.gif
WTB Reefbrite 36/48 inch.
sunny Want to Buy
03-02-2012 03:02 PM
by sunny
thread_hot.gif
High end SPS pack - Cheap
sunny For Sale/For Trade
02-29-2012 12:39 PM
by sunny
thread_hot.gif
Huge Red Cap Frags - Free to a good home
sunny Don't brake the Chain
02-26-2012 05:37 PM
by sunny
thread_hot.gif
American pinpoint PH monitor
sunny For Sale/For Trade
01-31-2012 09:41 AM
by sunny
thread_hot.gif
Australian BiColor hammer FS - NJ
sunny For Sale/For Trade
01-30-2012 10:36 PM
by sunny
thread_hot.gif
Mushroom for Sale
sunny For Sale/For Trade
01-16-2012 09:33 AM
by sunny
thread_hot.gif
SPS Frag Pack - Cheap
sunny For Sale/For Trade
01-15-2012 12:09 PM
by sunny
thread_hot.gif
MRC 48 inch hi-flow Acrylic sump - Only used a month
sunny For Sale/For Trade
10-31-2011 11:01 PM
by sunny
Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

I don't see anything impressive about your Titles bro...

I did not start this thread to get nitpicked. I also did not ask for any "impressive" titles. I only said meaningful titles and I honestly believe that every post that you spend time to pull out here from me does have a very meaningful title. It does give you a fair amount of idea of what the threads are about.

I stated it in the starting of the thread what my intention was and that I was not trying to offend anyone. Buy, oh well...

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
I actually agree with the OP on this one! I said something similar for the ForSale forum to at least have a location in the title.

I would not even waste my time to look at a forsale thread for something that is in Long Island for example.

A couple more words will not kill anyone BTW.

AnthonyAce

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
A meaningful subject may help a some when they a performing a "search". I know some of us have complained when someone asks a basic question without searching the site first. I have performed searches on this site before and come up with subjects like "help" or "what should I do" and it will take an hour to go through 100 posts only to come up empty.

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
A meaningful subject may help a some when they a performing a "search". I know some of us have complained when someone asks a basic question without searching the site first. I have performed searches on this site before and come up with subjects like "help" or "what should I do" and it will take an hour to go through 100 posts only to come up empty.

I have to agree with this.

There are certain people here who like to post "let me google that for you links" or tell you to use the search function on the site.

I have tried many times to use the search function but when you search for something and then you just get a list of topics that HAVE NOTHING to do with what you want.

This will definitely make the site much more searchable!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: